Logs for Calais

treemeup

I've just been sent this text message: "Hi there . I am a charity worker working for a charity based in Bristol but I live in bath . I have been working on the ground in the refugee camps in Dunkirk and we have a lorry taking building materials for shelters and firewood out to the families living in tents in horrific cold conditions . I am asking all tree surgeons in the area if they would be willing to donate some chopped seasoned wood to our project as they are desperate out there or if they know of any building materials going spare to build makeshift shelters to get people out of tents . I've seen for myself there are lots young children getting ill from the cold. If you can help it would be massively kind and appreciated thanks"

Just wondering if anyone would be able to help. If so I will pass on contact details.

Thanks

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone local here (in Pembrokeshire) recently took a load of pallets, clothing, bedding, etc to Calais.... quite an eye opener reading his account of how tough the conditions are. There's also an element of danger due to the mafia (they sell bedding, etc to newcomers at extortionate prices).

..... there are ordinary families there, with children, in grim conditions.... and it's winter (thankfully mild at the moment).

cheers, Steve

I hope the op got a genuine request to help these people. But I have had exactly the same request asking for kindling. Different locations but same frame work in the letter. May be worth doing a bit of research to make sure the stuff is going to those in need and not some scammer or worse criminal group who sell the stuff over in France.

This is a thread asking for wood donations to calais. People are in a desperate situation, men women and children, many with links to the uk. Please don't turn this into another rabid anti foreigner rant. If you're not offering anything helpful go start another thread if you like. The OP was asking for donations of wood, not your opinion on the refugee crisis

This is a thread asking for wood donations to calais. People are in a desperate situation, men women and children, many with links to the uk. Please don't turn this into another rabid anti foreigner rant. If you're not offering anything helpful go start another thread if you like. The OP was asking for donations of wood, not your opinion on the refugee crisis

FFS, people go to France for their holidays. France is one of the most developed countries on the planet, if people are in a "desperate situation" it's their own fault.

If all the migrants got into the UK do you think they would make the UK a nicer place to live? Or do you think they would turn the UK into the same s£$%hole that they came from?