Rhody Bash and Burn

roys

As I have mentioned before most days in life I pull out two or three bits of rhody, but I have acres of the damn stuff and it is taking over, so roughly at the end of March a few of my mates are going to spend 2 or 3 days with me to rhody bash and try and make an impression on the stuff.

So a couple of questions, is this the best time of year to have the concentrated effort?

I have piles of old dead rhody lying about the place, but when I have the rhody bash there is going to be a huge volume of the stuff so will the freshly cut stuff burn if I get a bit of a fire going first with some pallets etc.?

I don't have a chipper.

Any other thoughts, suggestions?

Cheers guys

On thing to consider, once you have done all of the damage that you can to the Rhodys, is Pigs. See if you can borrow some pigs off somebody for a few months and they will grub out all of the roots and regen for you (without the use of chemical herbicides).

I had considered hiring a chipper but access through a bog would be a nightmare.

As for the pigs as much as I like them, ( have had a little dealing with pigs in the past) because I am sometimes away for 2,3 or 4 days at a time I would not like to leave the pigs unattended for that amount of time.

Cheers

We do lots and lots of rhododendron clearance every year. The way to do it is as follows:

Cut and burn any rhody over a couple of feet tall, it will burn very well if you get your fire right to begin with. Do this anytime from September until early March.

Leave the site for 1 growing season and head back during the second summer, timing doesn't make much difference and spray the regrouth with Glyphosate.

You will then need to go back in the following summer to treat anything that was missed.

Sounds like a job for a 360 with grapple, pull it up root and all if it's chunky,

So glad you went first as I kept thinking what am I missing? Plus one here for the Excavator with Grapple.

A little tip is cut the bottom off a 45 gallon drum to make a tray, put some embers from the first fire into it and carry it over with the grapple to start the next, saves an age of getting heat into it.

Eddie.

Would love an excavator and grapple, unfortunately I don't have that type of kit and trying to get that sort of kit where it is needed would to awkward but not impossible, ground is boggy and no clear paths through it for vehicles.

I do have chain saws, hand saws, bill hooks, machetes and plenty of old pallets.

Thanks guys and keep the comments coming.

Would love an excavator and grapple, unfortunately I don't have that type of kit and trying to get that sort of kit where it is needed would to awkward but not impossible, ground is boggy and no clear paths through it for vehicles.

I do have chain saws, hand saws, bill hooks, machetes and plenty of old pallets.

Thanks guys and keep the comments coming.

Even a 1.5 tonne machine with basic grapple would be a revelation? A weeks hire is way cheaper than you could ever imagine, use hardly any fuel and will end up the cheapest man on the job.

If you get one with expanding tracks it only needs 1metre to squeeze through.

Ask around local, someone will be running one.

Eddie.