circular saw bench

simonm

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1449566166.206819.jpg.eafb6fa533461b5d0aafcb189ce314c1.jpg

I've had my 700 for nearly 2 years. I wish I had the conveyor to send the logs straight in to my trailer but its a lot more money for the conveyor. Maybe upgrade one day.

It's a lot easier than using a chainsaw.

I find its better to use on our bigger tractor. If I use it on the old Ford 4000 it doesn't have the power to keep the blade spinning when you're cutting 12" diameter logs whereas on the other tractor it's fine on bigger stuff.

Only criticism I'd have of it is that I have to put it on a pallet when I'm using it to get a decent working height. It must have been designed for short people.

The Oxdale ones look like you couldn't put as big a diameter wood through them due to the design of the rocking cradle.

Edited by Ashes_Firewood

A quick clip running off my little Yanmar which is on the limit for this saw , well built and comes ready to go has its not a cheap bolt together job ,I find the working height ok even though i am 6ft .

I have demonstrated using it without holding the logs but really left hand should be holding and right hand pushing on handle .

Note I am cutting slow for demonstrating.

Only criticism I have is when cross cutting has the waste discharge chute can block up .

It has handles which I shown in clip and can easily moved about .

Ste

Ps Jim@ spectrum plant I drink Budweiser lol

Edited by IVECOKID

If you've got a tractor have a look at a McConnel sliding table saw. I run one off the back of a DB880 and its way faster than a chainsaw for chopping up longer lengths of wood up to 10-12" diameter. They come with a parallel fence so you can rip the straighter lengths into posts or planks if needed

That's useful to know. I assume it's just sliding table saws that will come with a fence, not just any old circular saw bench?

Wondering about maximising use of wood in the future, and would be good to have the option to rip into posts or planks rather than just crosscutting everything... Thanks.

What's the cost of the petrol one in the picture please? Thanks ( tried phoning but no joy! )

Richard, sorry you had no joy on the phone, office is having a new phone system done I think. Best off with my mobile 07495 613004

Got an offer on the petrol saw on the webshop at the moment at £1750+vat delivered

Link to webshop

Correct me if i am wrong but the design on the balfour one looks like you would physically have to hold the log while it gets cut, compared to the oxdale which has a wide deep u shaped bench to hold the log! mine will be used by employees so also has to be safe as can be.

To be honest you'd want to hold the log on both really, most the time the cutting of the blade actually holds the log back into the trough, but you really want a hand on it just in case.

The design on the Balfor trough makes it much easier to feed the log across for the next cut, particularly with the rollers in the trough and on the log support.

We do offer an add on gripping handle to hold the logs that keeps your hands further from the blade, a good addition for employees who are a bit nervous, and even when its fitted it doesnt detract from the operation of the saw if you would prefer not to use it.

Log gripping handle

59766ea341217_Loggriphandle.jpg.afd0cd5ae309a43526162634acf0fa03.jpg

59766ea33f8ad_Loggriphandle3.jpg.b907be03c59b5c3dd3553648289e62be.jpg

On my balfour I would say you definitely have to hold the log as they do jump about a bit. A clenched fist pushing it down rather than hold though - an off round log can jump a bit and you can get your fingers whacked between the log and the unit ( I learnt the hard way!).

The holder looks good but I reckon you'd stop using after an hour.

Edited by richy_B

On my balfour I would say you definitely have to hold the log as they do jump about a bit. ..... an off round log can jump a bit and you can get your fingers whacked between the log and the unit ( I learnt the hard way!).

The holder looks good but I reckon you'd stop using after an hour.

One of our guys ended up in A&E with a hairline fracture to his jaw after a log bounced up and hit him in the face..

We use a PTO kenilworth saw & hydraulic splitter-

The splitter is fixed to a post in the barn and we run both machines at the same time. Arb waste can be dropped at the back of the tractor, the long stuff is split to billets and then cut on the saw bench or if short enough the rings just split.

It is a pretty efficient and safe way of dealing with the different size arisings we have. Previously the guys used to spend allot of time cutting rings with chainsaws on the log pile, this ended up with lots of blunt chains and potential dangers of using a saw to cut up small logs..

Ouch. I had a bit jump back and get me right in the nuts once.

I agree with your set up. Have two machines going at once seems to be best. When it's a 'one man' set up you seem to end up having to pile stuff up and almost tripping over yourself. That and you are switching between the two machines every 10 mins.