forwarding crane vs hiab type

Charlieh

What's the speed difference between using something like a cranab/farma/botex timber crane and using a hiab/atlas/palfinger type.

Looking at getting one mounted on the bolstered low loader I'm having made and I can't decide between a demount timber crane or a permenantly mounted hiab. The primary function of the trailer is to shift kit around so a fixed timber crane isn't an option. the original plan was to load with a forwarder and grab on the loader back at the yard but I would rather be able to work alone without having to have the other kit to shift stuff back to the mill.

Hiab probably makes more sense but just strikes me it could be really slow

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That was my fear, and it will be used for forwarding back to the yard with some regularity when we are doing timber for milling.

It will be on a 150hp+ tractor as its a converted king tank moving low loader so wont be the lightest of 19ft trailers

I wouldn't unduly worry about it mate, just use a pto pump to give it plenty of oil if the Deere isn't kicking enough out.

Having used Nigels on a number of occasions with an Atlas brick/grab loader type crane, it's slower but can handle a much bigger grab, plus obviously is so much better at general crane duties.

I think you'll drop on something much easier in the lorry loader range and it'll fold up much better as others have said.

Got a real nice PTO pump lying about too!:thumb up:

Eddie.

Just pushing more flow through a lorry loader crane won't make it anywhere near as quick as a timber crane. The geometry is different, a proper timber crane will have joystick proportional controls and a decent amount of down force which is important for good stacking.

If it's just for occasional use then nailing an old fold up crane on will work fine, but if it's more than one load a day it's going to get old really quickly.

As for the big grab, that depends on the size of the crane. No point putting a 0.6 on a 5 t/m lorry loader crane.

I run a 9.5 t/m Palfinger crane, with a 0.4 grab. That's about right for me as I usually put a few sticks on top of the chip at the end of the day, and the occasional full load of timber. Wouldn't want to use it for any serious timber haulage though.

well currently the drawbar is being made slightly longer so I can have the option to mount a crane without compromising the turning circle. I suspect a fold up hiab would probably be most suitable as I can see mounting and de mounting a timber crane would be a pain.

I didn't have a problem run a botex forwarding trailer on the spools, so I would assume I think I have enough flow.

I would be think a 0.4grab would be fine as im not shifting huge lumps of arb waste, just stems to bring back for the mill, and im aware how much prices of grabs increase with small extra capacity once you get above 0.2's