best trailer design

flatyre

Hey folks I currently run a transit van and homemade 9x4.5 double axle trailer combo for my landscaping business. Its a new venture due to being made redundant last year. Funds are tight so buying even a second hand trailer isn't an option. I do however have some engineering and fabricating experience, and access to a small engineering workshop. I'm a competent welder too. I get a fair amount of tree work at this time of year, mainly conifer topping and storm clearance. In summer I do a lot of grass cutting/gardening and have been offered some larger contracts for next year which will require a ride on mower. I know buying a factory trailer is the best option, but a trailer big enough to carry bails of brick, block, flags and paving brick for landscaping, tracked chipper and chippings in winter, and mower and cuttings in summer, with beavertail and mesh sides is way out of my budget for now. My existing trailer (which I didn't build) has a good Bradley hitch, jockey wheel, electrics, axles and wheels, problem is 9x4.5 is too small and there is no suspension, axles welded straight to the trailer chassis. I have a set of 4 new leaf springs with plates and u bolts and a good supply of metal from a local firm i'm friendly with. My mate who is a qualified engineer with his own workshop has built a number of custom trailers and has offered to help. I've got the materials, and the skills but can't decide what design to go for. I want the body of the trailer to be 12ft in length, but can't decide on width, either have the body riding above the wheels like the first picture giving just over 6ft but a steep ramp up to it, or have the wheels sit out past the body which gives a lower centre of gravity and lower ramp but lose over a foot in width. I think the second design is better for my needs but whats the safe maximum width for such a trailer?

ifor%201_zpsa5s5mq95.jpg

ifor%202_zpsegcx3x2x.jpg

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maximum allowed width for 3.5t vehicles is 2.4m but ideally you don't want it much wider than the towing vehicle

Personally I would say save up for a 2nd hand trailer as it will save you a lot of hassle and time. Bare in mind that they never seem to lose much value, you could probably sell it on in a few years for about what you paid for it!

If the suspension is directly mounted its probably a torsion axle

[ATTACH]194398[/ATTACH]

Blue is rubber and the wheel is attached to the inner bar.

Max width now 2.55m (8') length 7m (23')

For size comparison a Passat (2015) external dimensions are Width 1.8m (6') Length 4.7m (15'6")

So you could, dependant on suspension have quite a low trailer bed with which you could fit a car between the wheels

if the suspension is directly mounted its probably a torsion axle

[attach]194398[/attach]

blue is rubber and the wheel is attached to the inner bar.

Max width now 2.55m (8') length 7m (23')

for size comparison a passat (2015) external dimensions are width 1.8m (6') length 4.7m (15'6")

so you could, dependant on suspension have quite a low trailer bed with which you could fit a car between the wheels

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1449100117.046666.jpg.19754af18f7bb42df06e4d03cae60fd2.jpg

trailers are a bit of nightmare, to big, to small, to heavy. to lightweight..

the list goes on..

Then theres some new rules that mean you can't build your own these days, apparently if the trailer don't have a registered plate of some sorts, you might just get a fine as well as a trailer..