Feeling short changed!!

rovers90

Chip has traditionally been cut at 2.1 / 2.2 / 2.3; two bays of 2.5 on a forwarder goes some way to helping most forwarder drivers who can't fit 2 bays of 3's on.

Ask for 12' chip if you're that way inclined but rejecting certain lengths isn't going to do you any favours. The timber harvesting business doesn't revolve around firewood / chip.

I bet you are some glad of that, after reading some of the comments on here

:lol:

This time last year I bought in 150 tons of hardwood from a well known national company. A few weeks later I realised the stacks just didn't look right compared to the other stock I already had (and I don't just mean the way the lorry driver had stacked it - how it has managed to stay up all this time I don't know!).

So out came the tape measure - the new stock averaged 2.5m in length whereas everything I have bought over last 6 years has been 3m. When I queried this with the company they said they cut it short so they could get two bays on their forwarder. I was not too happy with this especially as it was some of the most expensive per ton I have bought.

All year I have been thinking is 150 ton of 2.5m stems the same as 150 ton of 3m stems??

Now I am cutting it I would say no. First off I don't sell by weight. Secondly, it takes 9 cuts to get 10 logs out of a 2.5m length and 11 to get 12 out of a 3m. So every 2.5m I cut I am down 2 lengths that could be halved, quartered etc so volume wise I am going to end up with a fair bit less than I envisaged which obviously makes it even more expensive.

I cannot remember when I ordered it whether length of timber was mentioned. Buyer beware!!

The weight was 150 tons

Did you pay for £150 tons?

Thanks for all the comments guys, this has been going around and around in my head for months!!!

To answer some questions:

I did buy 150 tons and we have a weighbridge on site so I know that's what I got

It is predominantly silver birch and beech thinnings

I had not considered the fact it will take me longer to process the shorter material so that was a good point

I had considered if you put 150 ton of 2.5m lengths end to end would it be the same as 150 ton of 3m lengths end to end - suppose it should be really

It does look like I have used more off the pile than I would have thought but the shorter/higher stack idea explains this

Anyway, my new stock that has come in for next week is all 3m and a darn site cheaper so I'm a happy logger with that!!

Slightly off topic but similar :

Jason Mcateer, ex Liverpool FC, went to a pizza restaurant, after he had ordered the waiter asked him if he wanted the pizza cut into 6 or 12 pieces? Jason said ' Cut it into 6 no way could I eat 12 pieces' Apparently he was being serious.

Styx

Edited by Styx
spolling

I can see where you are coming from but with a weight ticket you can't go far wrong. Where it can go badly wrong is if there is no weight ticket and it's worked out by measured volume. Especially if there are lots of twisty sticks and gaps between the stacks on the lorries. Although I think most arctics get 4 stacks of 3 metres or 5 stacks 2.4 m

This time last year I bought in 150 tons of hardwood from a well known national company. A few weeks later I realised the stacks just didn't look right compared to the other stock I already had (and I don't just mean the way the lorry driver had stacked it - how it has managed to stay up all this time I don't know!).

So out came the tape measure - the new stock averaged 2.5m in length whereas everything I have bought over last 6 years has been 3m. When I queried this with the company they said they cut it short so they could get two bays on their forwarder. I was not too happy with this especially as it was some of the most expensive per ton I have bought.

All year I have been thinking is 150 ton of 2.5m stems the same as 150 ton of 3m stems??

Now I am cutting it I would say no. First off I don't sell by weight. Secondly, it takes 9 cuts to get 10 logs out of a 2.5m length and 11 to get 12 out of a 3m. So every 2.5m I cut I am down 2 lengths that could be halved, quartered etc so volume wise I am going to end up with a fair bit less than I envisaged which obviously makes it even more expensive.

I cannot remember when I ordered it whether length of timber was mentioned. Buyer beware!!

So, you phoned them and said the firewood I brought is 2.5 metres long and previous it was 3 metes long

It's going to be cut up into probably8-10 inch logs so why does it matter?

It's not like they measured it at 3 metres long and charged u a volume

• 2 weeks later...