Rope Advance When Using the 'O' Rig

R Mac

The reason I never used that system (apart from using a pantin as Rich mentioned) is that depending on what hitch you use, you sometimes have to get it to bite manually. If your hitch decides not to bite and you have no way of reaching it you could be in trouble. You may also need to descend suddenly.

Always have your system where you can reach it.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Correct Steve, the section of rope coming from the top traps the part going to the ground. Point your toes down and keep it under your bottom as you stand to auto block it.

Your other foot dangles or put it on top of other foot to help standing.

The first few cycles you have to pull the rope to advance it, but after you gain some height and added weight from the rope you only have to point your toes up, so the rope doesn't fall off, and wiggle your foot to advance the rope.

The reason I never used that system (apart from using a pantin as Rich mentioned) is that depending on what hitch you use, you sometimes have to get it to bite manually. If your hitch decides not to bite and you have no way of reaching it you could be in trouble. You may also need to descend suddenly.

Always have your system where you can reach it.

I haven't experienced a friction hitch slip in either configuration, yet, (using the Hitch Climber) but it seems to me thinking about it that it's likely to happen as you place your weight on the hitch prior to taking in more rope during ascent. With the O Rig both hands are below the hitch holding your weight and you're coming onto the friction hitch while still holding with both hands, on the regular set-up by the time you realise the friction hitch is failing to bite you're holding on with one hand above the hitch and the other below the hitch at waist level tending the slack, either way I think there would be a bit of added pressure while it was sorted.

As far as being able to reach the hitch is concerned the distance you can reach forward/above with one hand is greater than the distance you can reach with both hands together as you tend to twist sideways when reaching with one hand so even with the friction hitch in the ascending position and far enough away to allow as much rope to be taken in as possible (waist to full double hand reach) you should (maybe) still be able to reach it with one hand.

Just thinking out loud here and definitely not saying you're wrong :001_smile: