Rope Advance When Using the 'O' Rig

R Mac

Another option would be to have a caritool or other snap gate krab on harness, when you want to change over tie a knot in tail of rope under pulley and clip into this, possibly easier and less in the way.

Alternatively, when you open your main krab to remove splice just clip that to your bridge until change over is complete?

The possibilities are endless :)

I had been experimenting with a DMM Revolver on my harness and running my climbing line through that and up to an Ultra O on the hitch climber pulley and had started clipping the Ultra O to the Revolver after removing the climbing line. The O Rig has plenty of advantages but at the cost of adding a few more steps when it comes to advancing the rope (compared to a basic prusik/split tail)

Definitely one to get perfected.

What do you reckon on running through the Revolver? less friction or more complication?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, my name is Bob. The best system I found when using an O rig is instead of clipping your climb line eye to the main friction hitch, clip a short section of rope, with an eye on each end, between the two.

When you unclip your climb line to advance it everything else stays attached to the rope and harness.

Hi, my name is Bob. The best system I found when using an O rig is instead of clipping your climb line eye to the main friction hitch, clip a short section of rope, with an eye on each end, between the two.

When you unclip your climb line to advance it everything else stays attached to the rope and harness.

Could you explain that or post a pic as I can't visualise how that would work.

As I understand it the 'O' rig is basically a loop formed from the climbing rope by passing the splice (or knot in my case) through the central attachment loop of the harness (DMM Revolver in my case) and clipping it to the friction system, (in my case a VT attached to a hitch climber using an Ultra O). With my rope running through a cambium saver, down and through my harness and up to the friction system I'm basically attached to a loop of rope which I can rotate to move the friction hitch closer or further away from myself.

Surely if I make a fixed attachment between my rope and my harness I no longer have a rotatable loop or am I missing something?

r-mac-albums-chainsaws-picture7943-dsc-1338-copy.jpg

Above, 'Loop' rotated clockwise to bring the friction hitch closer to me

r-mac-albums-chainsaws-picture7944-dsc-1340-copy.jpg

Above, Loop rotated anti-clockwise to rotate the friction hitch further away from me

Looking at your top picture, instead of the climb line going through the Revolver and clipping to the Ultra O,it stops somewhere just above the small fiction shown. A short section of rope clips to the climb line and goes through the Revolver and attaches to the Ultra O. The short rope has eyes on each end.

The small friction saver needs to be moved to the Revolver to the left rope as before but now it is on the short section of rope.

The short section only has to be long enough for your main friction hitch to advance long enough away from you.

Hope this helps.

Mate, get comfortable on the HC system. Now if you want the hitch further away from you whilst on long ascents (so you can pull below the system body thrust style) use a short length of rope or a tape sling of the appropriate length.

When you are at a work station re attach the hitch climber back to your bridge so the hitch is close.

Personally I would get a foot ascender and just pull above the hitch and use your leg to make it easier. The foot ascender will also tend the slack. But then again I have never really considered the o rig useful. But that is just me.

What ever you choose, practice and lots of it will make it easier.

I think I'll probably end up keeping the 'O' rig as simple as possible by just clipping the Ultra O to my main harness attachment point when I disconnect the climbing line to advance it. (after clipping in on my lanyard of course) That seems to me to be the simplest method and the one which needs the least components.

That said by using an extra eye to eye section of climbing rope as suggested by Brocky I wouldn't need to unclip the small friction hitch attached to the hitch climber pulley. I would need the extra length of rope and one extra karabiner but would only need to make one movement to free the climbing line for advancing.

A few different things to try and of course I would like a foot ascender, that will probably be my next piece of climbing hardware, it should make the regular Hitch Climber set up more usable for me if I employ it as you suggest.

Thanks Again guys for the suggestions. :thumbup1: