is an industrial grinder a bit too big???

se7enthdevil

hi all, i'm getting a little annoyed that the piddly little bench top grinders you buy for sharpening chisels and other woodwork tools are too fast in the first place, too fragile, too small and end up wearing out too quick...

however would a large industrial grinder be a bit over the top?

i'd be interested to know your views.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi all, i'm getting a little annoyed that the piddly little bench top grinders you buy for sharpening chisels and other woodwork tools are too fast in the first place, too fragile, too small and end up wearing out too quick...

however would a large industrial grinder be a bit over the top?

i'd be interested to know your views.

Check out Paul Sellers on YouTube.... he and his magical plate glass and glass paper method...

:thumbup:

Hi, when I just want to retouch an already sharpish chisel, plane, knife or whatever I stick various grades of wet n dry to a bit of plate glass with spray adhesive and do it that way, very fine grades are available. If you`ve got good quality steel you`ll get stuff extremely sharp, better than new!

I also use a linisher to get the tool into the desired shape first, on the grinder topic, the little bench ones are great for drills etc and a slightly bigger version is handier but you really need a selection of wheels of different compositions and grades dedicated for specific jobs.

Some of the more intricately shaped tools I`ve used really needed to be sharpened by hand with small hones etc. cheers

viceroy are great for plane irons and carpentry chisels but i also want to use it for my axes and turning chisels so i need a vertical one.

creusen and tormek are way to expensive in my opinion but i have looked into them.

i can't use flat plate glass for my round turning chisels.

i don't have three phase.

i may go for another bench top type if it's right i was just wondering what other peoples thoughts are on the industrial ones and was curious to see if anyone has one???

viceroy are great for plane irons and carpentry chisels but i also want to use it for my axes and turning chisels so i need a vertical one.

creusen and tormek are way to expensive in my opinion but i have looked into them.

i can't use flat plate glass for my round turning chisels.

i don't have three phase.

i may go for another bench top type if it's right i was just wondering what other peoples thoughts are on the industrial ones and was curious to see if anyone has one???

I'd often wondered just the same thing about gouges.... but here's an answer...

https://paulsellers.com/2011/04/restoring-woodworking-gouges-project-2-part-1/

Sorry... I'm having a bit of a 'Paul Sellers' phase!

they are wood carving gouges not turning tools, nice idea for a cheap fix though.

it need to be a grinding wheel as some timbers you may be returning to sharpen it every few seconds to get that burr back on your scraper (honing removes the burr) for the fine grain extremely hard woods.

i'm looking at a slow wet grinder that's floor standing and am pondering if it's too big?