Can i cut this without killing it?

Magnolia

Question

Hi All,

First post to this forum, so hello all, im the owner of a very nice Magnolia tree, that my local council has said that I must cut back a particular branch that is overhanging the pavement.

We have already cut back the tree significantly (a tree surgeon did it), as we thought this is what the council wanted, but it turned out it was one specific branch. Rather annoying.

I have two questions, if I cut the large trunk that is overhanging the pavement, is it possible to do with without killing the tree? I need to cut the branch as much that it no longer enters the air space of the pavement.

From researching online about where to cut branches, I have learnt that you need to cut close enough to the trunk that the tree will heal around the scar. I just cant see how its possible to do this in this case, as the branch is actually 45% of the trunk coming out of the ground?!

I have a chainsaw so plan to cut this myself. Could anyone advise where to cut, if it is possible to do so without killing it?

John

jyF7I9con6Yi7HEXFLNsCrgzH40TLdXzEHvSr08ew3s?size=1024x768&size_mode=3

03pgcuqhNqgEuwdtPZe--a8-hIDQ3ChAiXWKPMyQXEE?size=1024x768&size_mode=3

59yFa4PxgpyDo0-En-57RYkU_T4upfevwffxy0dUDZg?size=1024x768&size_mode=3

Edited by Magnolia

• Answers 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

Hi All,

First post to this forum, so hello all, im the owner of a very nice Magnolia tree, that my local council has said that I must cut back a particular branch that is overhanging the pavement.

We have already cut back the tree significantly (a tree surgeon did it), as we thought this is what the council wanted, but it turned out it was one specific branch. Rather annoying.

I have two questions, if I cut the large trunk that is overhanging the pavement, is it possible to do with without killing the tree? I need to cut the branch as much that it no longer enters the air space of the pavement.

From researching online about where to cut branches, I have learnt that you need to cut close enough to the trunk that the tree will heal around the scar. I just cant see how its possible to do this in this case, as the branch is actually 45% of the trunk coming out of the ground?!

I have a chainsaw so plan to cut this myself. Could anyone advise where to cut, if it is possible to do so without killing it?

John

jyF7I9con6Yi7HEXFLNsCrgzH40TLdXzEHvSr08ew3s?size=1024x768&size_mode=3

03pgcuqhNqgEuwdtPZe--a8-hIDQ3ChAiXWKPMyQXEE?size=1024x768&size_mode=3

59yFa4PxgpyDo0-En-57RYkU_T4upfevwffxy0dUDZg?size=1024x768&size_mode=3

Is that something the LA told you to do?

If you remove that stem it will cause decay that will shorten the life expectancy of the tree.

Is that something the LA told you to do?

If you remove that stem it will cause decay that will shorten the life expectancy of the tree.

It makes no difference. This will be a section 154 notice ordering the tree owner to cut back the tree to provide adequate clearance over the highway. They will see as a safety issue and if you don't do it they will do it for you then take you to court to recover the costs.

If the tree decays and becomes dangerous they could serve you with another notice telling you to fell it. Same process and perfectly legitimate.