Knot less rigging on a budget.

Mick Dempsey

I thought the idea behind the half hitch on bigger rigging and the crab to the line on smaller was it's ability to cinch up tighter as it's loaded reducing the risk of slipping? Please do correct me if im wrong on that one as I'm relatively in experienced. Looking that that prussic setup it doesn't look as though it would be able to tighten as it's loaded?

Yeah you could be right. I haven't tried it in a real situation, and I'm not talking using it on some 3ft diameter beech or something. But if it makes things that little bit more user friendly then it's a good thing!

I got it pretty tight on that log then yanked it up and no signs of slip.. I'll try it out and report back:)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the prussik contributing? Clipping a crab back onto the lowering line tightens with it's own weight. With a prussik not only are you adding an extra link into the system, you have to physically tighten it yourself. Seems like it's making more work, not less.

Decent steel krab on the end for me. Heavy stuff pop a half hitch in front, really heavy stuff the 18mm line comes out and use knots.

Not having a go, just raising a point.

Well if you've found a new way of doing things and it's working out better then sounds good to me.:thumbup1: in regards to Mick with his two carabiners.

I don't think the prussik is a good idea, can't see it being any better than just clipping a krab straight on to the main line.

Only time I've seen groundies really struggle to un clip a krab is when they don't give themselves any slack.

I thought the idea behind the half hitch on bigger rigging and the crab to the line on smaller was it's ability to cinch up tighter as it's loaded reducing the risk of slipping? Please do correct me if im wrong on that one as I'm relatively in experienced. Looking that that prussic setup it doesn't look as though it would be able to tighten as it's loaded?

It also reduces the shock load on the (potentially) vulnerable Krab, you'll get 85% pressure on the half hitch the rest on the Krab.

Figures approximate of course.

• 2 weeks later...