Free mixed timber

nick channer

You'd be right in sayin that !

Timber gets burnt on fire in yard if I don't shift it.

I dont see the reason for all the jibes and pokes at what Nick is charging to load and deliver this timber,?,If i did not have the access to the amount ot timber that i do have and was more local to this I for sure would be putting my name forward for 4 or 5 load as there is good money to be made out of this, softwood firewood del into my yard £42 a tonne and the haulage is only 6 miles. Think about it ???.

At no point did I call Nick a ***** (or whatever he put behind the asterisks) and neither do I have a problem with him charging whatever he can get for the wood, but I just think that saying the wood is free and then charging a massive haulage charge is a bit odd.

To put the headline of the thread as Free mixed timber and then telling a 'local' (Nick's word not mine) customer that its going to cost him £26/t for delivery is a bit steep.

We are all out to make as much profit as we can and I don't blame Nick for doing so, after all, the overall delivered price is pretty reasonable but there's no need to be abusive when someone makes a comment :thumbdown:

The good thing about the forum is that it's an opportunity for people to give their opinion or thoughts. I don't think that's against the rules of the forum.

At no point was I rude or abusive, but each to their own I suppose.

The lorry needs to earn £650 a day min or I might as well leave it on job it's doing

Haulage rate is based on there and coming back empty!

If I can get load scrap coming back that's my bonus which isn't likely to happen for next six months min!

It's a 4 hour round trip with forklift to load.

We use a 2 cubic meter riddle bucket to load with so minimal crap in load.

That takes an extra hour to load compared with normal grain bucket.

£160 min to load.

We get that to load a stobsrt lorry with chip which takes 2 hours round trip

The timber is free!

Anyone wants to send a lorry in and pay me £160 to load that's fine.

It's not my timber so won't be loadin for nothing.

Have 9 loads to do so can't be that bad a deal!

Strikes me this is a fair deal. Not his fault if your miles away. If you are local you can make a decent return, if you're not then its not for you.