Up to yer nuts in it thread

aspenarb

No picture but I was topping once up at Flash in Staffordshire, first run round the headland trying to find the ditch in the rushes sank a 2wd David brown 1390 so fat I walked straight out the cab onto the field without using the steps, guy who came to pull me out said pick the topper up I told him it was full raised but was flat on the deck!

A working D7, what a gem :001_cool:

Bob

She really is a gem Bob.

I always wanted one after my father bought me a science fiction book called "Killdozer" which was eventually made into a film of the same name. (pathetic film, not as good as the book, and they used a D9 not a D7!)

[ame]

[/ame]

The Mexican driver in the book called the D7 Daisy Etta.

Spanish for D7 is De Siete which sounds like Daisy Etta

It levels all the chalk roads here like a billiard table with the blade at an angle.

Fourteen litres but only four cylinders so each cylinder is three and a half litres. Maximum revs 850 120 hp but a shed load of torque.

It has a petrol donkey to start with a two speed gearbox. The lower gear for starting in Artic conditions.

The donkey shares the water with the main engine and warms it up, the exhaust goes through the inlet manifold heating that up also and the engine turns over on decompression for some time until oil pressure is built up.

All these factors mean the engine starts warm on full oil pressure which is good for longevity.

Daisy Etta had her best moment here when a New Holland combine a TF46 (big one) had dropped one wheel down a spring hole in otherwise dry conditions.

The contractor had two 150 hp four wheel drive Masseys on two chains trying to pull it out backwards but all eight wheels plus the two of the combine were spinning and nothing was happening.

The contractor came to me and asked if I thought Daisy Etta would be able to do it, I told him it was worth a try.

The two tractor drivers were full of cynical comments as we chained up.

I just eased the hand clutch and she growled for a second and the seventeen and a half tons of crawler just took the strain and the combine popped out like a champagne cork!

The two tractor drivers jaws were on their chests, it was priceless but unfortunately I did not film it.

I think the secret is massive torque at very low revs plus the weight and the weight of the blade which is well forward.