Japa 700 any good?

swinny

I had 1 for a few years and it was OK, had a bad habit of eating belts and the splitter activation mechanism had a bit to be desired but did a lot of wood with it and it definitely payed for itself, bigger stuff could be done by ringing with a saw and dropping into the chamber but I did about 50tons of billets 1 year and it was very good at these and fast.

If it's a bit newer model it'll have the auto speed splitter which saves time and the sliding rather than rocking table is very comfortable to use.

Only got rid as stopped doing as much logs and when I changes yards the right to left feed of the jappa just didn't work with the limited space I had.

Bought one new in 2007, no issues at all but only put 50 tonnes a year through it. I was thinking of changing it this year, the new model is very different with lots of "safety" features, think it slows the whole process down so sticking with my old one. One of the main reason for buying it was that Fuelwood Warwick is only an hour away from me.

Had one for 6years. Good bit of kit if u doing small volumes of fire wood. Simple to work on if you got a small mechanical knowledge. Paid for itself in first year of buying it.( I did pay £4500 brand new and sold it for £3950 after 6 years)

I've got one. Old version - tilting rather than sliding log sled. Apart from logs prone to upending in the splitting chamber can't fault it... Actually that's because the little rod that pushes the saw guard back is missing so the logs catch the guard a bit and this helps them fall skewed...

I have a 2007 model that I bought from Fuelwood in 2010. It is a good machine to start with, produces a nice log. However once to start to do some volume you will find it a bit slow. On my own using the Fuelwood manual feed rack loaded with a teleporter I do about a cube an hour, 2 handed then 10 cube a day including setting up and taking down/cleaning up is on but it does depend on the size of cord you are putting through. On small stuff say 150mm or below its as fast any anything in the market.

Belt wise if you keep them tight then its no issue but it is a major faf to change the main drive belt set. Grease nipple on the bearing at the blade end of the mainshaft is a huge problem, you just cant get to it when connected to a tractor. Hopefully that has been sorted on the newer models. I only grease that bearing when unit if off the tractor or when switching blades, I have two blades for it.

Ring wise it will handle up to about 320mm but you will have to put the top logs off the 4 way splitter through again as they will be to big otherwise. There is a 5 and 6 way splitter but the ram is not that powerfull. Machine it at its optimum with cord 200mm - 250mm diameter and takes up to around 280mm, will go slightly more but you have to turn the log then backcut it.

A

I have a 2007 model that I bought from Fuelwood in 2010. It is a good machine to start with, produces a nice log. However once to start to do some volume you will find it a bit slow. On my own using the Fuelwood manual feed rack loaded with a teleporter I do about a cube an hour, 2 handed then 10 cube a day including setting up and taking down/cleaning up is on but it does depend on the size of cord you are putting through. On small stuff say 150mm or below its as fast any anything in the market.

Belt wise if you keep them tight then its no issue but it is a major faf to change the main drive belt set. Grease nipple on the bearing at the blade end of the mainshaft is a huge problem, you just cant get to it when connected to a tractor. Hopefully that has been sorted on the newer models. I only grease that bearing when unit if off the tractor or when switching blades, I have two blades for it.

Ring wise it will handle up to about 320mm but you will have to put the top logs off the 4 way splitter through again as they will be to big otherwise. There is a 5 and 6 way splitter but the ram is not that powerfull. Machine it at its optimum with cord 200mm - 250mm diameter and takes up to around 280mm, will go slightly more but you have to turn the log then backcut it.

A

Do you mean a loose cube an hour? Seems slow; can do 3m3/hour on mine i.e 1m3 loose load in 20 minutes...

Do you mean a loose cube an hour? Seems slow; can do 3m3/hour on mine i.e 1m3 loose load in 20 minutes...

Setting up, loading a manual rack with a teleporter, processing, taking down and clearing up sawdust etc. On my own in an 8 hour working day depending on the size of the cord I average about 8 cube. If I did not set up and take down then that could be 10 or 11 cube.

I process into bags and plonk those once filled onto a trailer.

If there were two I can manage more especially if I have one loader on the log grab and another handling the bags.

3 cube an hour on your own, assuming variable cord up to 300mm, much respect to you. You are probably younger and fitter than I am.

Are you running the same set up rack wise ?.

A

Setting up, loading a manual rack with a teleporter, processing, taking down and clearing up sawdust etc. On my own in an 8 hour working day depending on the size of the cord I average about 8 cube. If I did not set up and take down then that could be 10 or 11 cube.

I process into bags and plonk those once filled onto a trailer.

If there were two I can manage more especially if I have one loader on the log grab and another handling the bags.

3 cube an hour on your own, assuming variable cord up to 300mm, much respect to you. You are probably younger and fitter than I am.

Are you running the same set up rack wise ?.

A

No rack! Just pull the 7' roundwood off the stack opposite with tongs onto the floor next to the processor and load by hand. Roundwood dia from 4" to 10". Thinking about it, maintaining 3m/hr all day might be a mission on my own, do-able but knackering. Someone to present the next log on the tray would make it easy. No sawdust clear up tho! Or loading bags, that's just straight into trucks. Japa 700 is supposed to have pto input speed of 400rpm, tractor rev counter bust so I use infra-red counter on pto shaft. That's on fast split ram speed too.