Saw tuning

Treegeek

I would have sked them what they had done exactly that cost £80 .....

The £80 was to change the recoil rope I would have said. In my world, I would have advised what I had done, costs to date, what I believed the further fault to be and possible cost go remedy!

It sounds like they put a kid on the job and were defensive when they realised they hadn't fixed the issue!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Breakdown on the bill stated £20 for supply & fitting of new starter rope + £60 for "performing a full service" no definition of what that includes. They stated verbally that it needed sharpening & the saw needed tuning just before I left the workshop counter to go to the shop counter to pay.

Another dealer in town is completely different they have a £10 charge to look at a tool whether they do anything or not but you then get a phone call advising what needs doing a price for them doing it and a price for just the parts if you want to do the work yourself. You pick an option & go from there or you could just pay the £10 & do nothing if you decide it's not worth repairing. Much better service in my opinion even though a lot of people do not go there because they don't like having to pay the £10 charge if their tools turn out to be scrap.

Breakdown on the bill stated £20 for supply & fitting of new starter rope + £60 for "performing a full service" no definition of what that includes. They stated verbally that it needed sharpening & the saw needed tuning just before I left the workshop counter to go to the shop counter to pay.

Another dealer in town is completely different they have a £10 charge to look at a tool whether they do anything or not but you then get a phone call advising what needs doing a price for them doing it and a price for just the parts if you want to do the work yourself. You pick an option & go from there or you could just pay the £10 & do nothing if you decide it's not worth repairing. Much better service in my opinion even though a lot of people do not go there because they don't like having to pay the £10 charge if their tools turn out to be scrap.

£20 for fitting new cord.... very reasonable, I would have been £25.00 if done on its own, but to be fair I would have included it in the service price if done with a service.

£60.00 for service.... I would have been £70inc vat, plus parts, but would have include the rope replacement and would have tuned the carb and sharpened the chain. After all, without a sharp chain how can you tune it, as you have to do a test cut or two?

As for the other dealer with his £10 to investigate and quote.... well he is a fool, that's worth at least £25.00.

Why do so many people think they should not pay for the time taken to diagnose and quote?

The logic is that if you take a machine in for service, you get it back fully working, fully working but with recommendations for further work ( new clutch drum for instance) or advice for a more serious issue and quote to resolve.

What is the logic saying the machine is serviced but not useable??? I don't understand that:confused1:

The logic is that if you take a machine in for service, you get it back fully working, fully working but with recommendations for further work ( new clutch drum for instance) or advice for a more serious issue and quote to resolve.

What is the logic saying the machine is serviced but not useable??? I don't understand that:confused1:

Exactly . :001_smile:

I follow a chap from us calls his saw snellerized something to do with his surname ?? I have a spare 346 I'd like to have as a hot saw blocking down stems (climbing work)

There's a video of this guy's work on a 346 with 357 carb and inlet manifold ported etc seems to run really well that's the kind of thing I was thinking of.