Acceptance of Lantra vs City & Guilds qualification

Arbo

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I take it you mean NPTC assessed. They don't do training courses . The key bit, to meet the requirements of the law, regardless of the assessment, is to make sure they are properly trained. .

Yeah sorry your right.Could you answer a question.

Is it a stipulation for your Lantra trainers to be NPTC qualified?

Stuart - Thanks for the clarification on legislation. I have to say that all the NTPC and Lantra assessors I have spoken to have been clear that both assessments are interchangeable.

It is obvious that due to the historic setup where someone could end up with a Lantra training certificate but not be NPTC assessed that much of the industry is still misinformed. It is unfortunate that, in much the same way that '002003' doesn't roll off the tongue as easy as 'CS30&31' - 'Lantra Assessed' has not established itself as synonymous with 'NPTC Assessed'.

I think it would have caused far less confusion to keep the qualification names the same, but change the certification across both awarding bodies to be called QCF Assessed - Rather than the situation we have now, with jobs advertised asking for 'NPTC chainsaw tickets'.

I take it you mean NPTC assessed. They don't do training courses . The key bit, to meet the requirements of the law, regardless of the assessment, is to make sure they are properly trained. .

But training on its own is no guarantee of competence, only independant assessment can verify competence hence lots of employers asking for proof of competence rather than proof of training.

the history of the two awarding bodies my explain:- Lantra originally ATB

(agricultural training board) typically trained farmers!!

NPTC originally FASTCo (forestry and aboriculture training council) typically trained foresters and those wanting industry relevant training!!!

Hence why many companies still want NPTC

Both organisations have there pros and cons, good and bad instructors/assessor!! just look for an instructor who can deliver value for money a good variation of trees and who goes out of their way to taylor the course to suit you, and not the awarding bodies!! a week is not long to gain and absorb as much experience as possible:thumbup:

Not at all. The fact that most are comes from them being qualified prior to 2012. Then the only way was NPTC

As for the move to independent assessors, that's a whole different discussion. If I train you, and my business partner assesses you. You pass and I can advertise that my business boasts a high success rate...was it independent assessment? Never happens like that of course

Edited by Stuart Phillips

Not at all. The fact that most are comes from them being qualified prior to 2012. Then the only way was NPTC

As for the move to independent assessors, that's a whole different discussion. If I train you, and my business partner assesses you. You pass and I can advertise that my business boasts a high success rate...was it independent assessment? Never happens like that of course

And nobody ever fails ITA courses, that would deflate the massive egos of some instructors!! Lol

There are some great instructors/assessors and it's always a shame when the standards are brought into question by inadequate training or an unprofessional conduct! many of us give 110% to develop the very best trainees some of which will never have the required aptitude.

NPTC Award Felling and Processing trees over 380mm ITA!!

But training on its own is no guarantee of competence, only independant assessment can verify competence hence lots of employers asking for proof of competence rather than proof of training.

Hmmm, not sure.

Is independent assessment "a guarantee of competence"...or merely an assessment / test that the, often basic level, skills trained prior are in place.

I would suggest the reference to NPTC is more historic, particularly within the 'arb' sector, as a benchmark of 'competence' (a word and not necessarily a fact) and the fact it is associated with City & Guilds, which service many other industry sectors, means it has a wider recognition, perhaps.

At the end of the day as an industry you now have a choice / options of Lantra Awards or C&Gs/NPTC and, at the end of the day, AND as it has always been, it is very much down to the individual instructor/assessor and trainee/assesse(?) as to how effective the process actually is...AND don't forget YOUR very important role in the "competence development" process by assisting with the consolidation of those trained/assessed skills in the workplace.

Reet, time to head fer the hills me thinks :001_rolleyes:

Cheers..

Paul

Hmmm, not sure.

Is independent assessment "a guarantee of competence"...or merely an assessment / test that the, often basic level, skills trained prior are in place.

I would suggest the reference to NPTC is more historic, particularly within the 'arb' sector, as a benchmark of 'competence' (a word and not necessarily a fact) and the fact it is associated with City & Guilds, which service many other industry sectors, means it has a wider recognition, perhaps.

At the end of the day as an industry you now have a choice / options of Lantra Awards or C&Gs/NPTC and, at the end of the day, AND as it has always been, it is very much down to the individual instructor/assessor and trainee/assesse(?) as to how effective the process actually is...AND don't forget YOUR very important role in the "competence development" process by assisting with the consolidation of those trained/assessed skills in the workplace.

Reet, time to head fer the hills me thinks :001_rolleyes:

Cheers..

Paul

PS As a matter of (related) interest, as informed by several colleagues who undertake 'expert witness' work, in the event of an accident the legal system seems to be very much more interested in the training, including refreshers / updates, of individuals rather than their "certificates of competence" (as was.)