Protective Trousers & Gloves

Crispin

Would be grateful for some advice on protective gloves and trousers. I use a chainsaw a couple of hours most weeks for firewood production for myself and family.

I have never worn protective trousers and feel that it's about time I considered these. What would be a reasonably priced pair of protective trousers and any recommendations for gloves, and where is a good place to purchase these

Many thanks Chris

Edited by Crispin

The fact that you have never had to call upon the protection of said PPE tells me you now what you are doing . However , never say never ! Some strides ( front protection only ) would be good , gloves I have never had to call upon but still use " non chainsaw protection " Sugihara gloves from Rob D on hear . Strides vary in price from cheap to bonkers money . Its up to you really .

When I was in your shoes I bought a pair of the stihl economy type a strides, they have served me well and now get worn for my own firewood work or when on the ground in rough brush. Light comfy cheap, job jobbed! The englebert ones get a good write up on here and I think they are a bit cheaper.

Chris

To be honest any of them should do the job in your circumstances you just need to decipher the description to work out what protection they offer & decide what you want to spend.

Type A trousers protect the front of the legs only.

Type C protect all over

The class rating you need is determined by the saws you typically use somewhere in the manual it should tell you how fast the chain travels if you are not sure then post your saws make & model on here & someone is bound to know.

Class 1 products are tested with a chainsaw speed of 20m/s.

Class 2 products at 24m/s

Class 3 at 28m/s

Cut proof gloves are not necessary if you have a saw with a chain brake that is used correctly in my opinion but I am sure others will disagree.

Some suppliers offer PPE kits (trousers or chaps, gloves & a helmet) which may work out cheaper.

I give away my old PPE to domestic saw users when I replace it (subject to the condition it is in) there may be people in your area that do the same.

Also worth thinking about footwear if you haven't already. A good pair of steel cap boots (can't see a need for you to spend extra on chainsaw boots for occasional use of a saw) would offer your feet some protection & will probably come in handy for other things too.

Rigger boots are pretty good and really come into their own when you drop a big log on your foot :o