Help need on Apple orchard clearance

I was unfortunate enough to be involved in a job last year which saw the removal of 7 mature pear trees. That was a sad day. Each tree supported a whole myriad of species from insects feeding on deadwood, birds nesting in cavities, epiphytes and fungi.

20 acres is a large number of trees, a whole Eco system in that one orchard, gone just like that.

A sad day indeed. :thumbdown:

I dont think will cheer you up Sean, but in a commercial fruit orchard most of the ecosystem is discouraged by husbandry, and the deadwood in particular pruned out and removed.

I dont think will cheer you up Sean, but in a commercial fruit orchard most of the ecosystem is discouraged by husbandry, and the deadwood in particular pruned out and removed.

Yea I understand that. I had visions of this lapsed veteran orchard with all its habitat being wiped out. Thanks for info.

• 2 months later...

Joe - did you get a good price eventually? I have an orchard to clear too, only 6" apple and pear. I'm told apple makes good firewood and burns really well. There must be about 3,000 trees. I'm wondering if there's any market for the wood either as firewood or biomass, and is it worth the effort, or should we just burn the lot on site?

Thanks

Leb

Morning chaps. I'm looking at a job in Kent clearing a mature apple orchard.

There is about 20 acres. All good size timber average 8-10" What sort of price could I expect to get for it green road side.

Thanks in advance

Joe

Joe - did you get a good price eventually? I have an orchard to clear too, only 6" apple and pear. I'm told apple makes good firewood and burns really well. There must be about 3,000 trees. I'm wondering if there's any market for the wood either as firewood or biomass, and is it worth the effort, or should we just burn the lot on site?

Thanks

Leb

Leb where are you based ??