Electric splitter choice and their hydraulics query.

rotorv8

sorry guys - another electric splitter query ; I've read the others but they don't quite answer for me so I hope you don't mind me starting another thread.

Upshot is a bad back means my maul swinging days are behind me and so I'm looking at a vertical electric splitter. think I've narrowed it down to the Clarke log buster 6 at £345 (after VAT reduction and 5.25% cashback) - with 5.5 ton pressure

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/clarke-vertical-log-buster-6?da=1&TC=GS-030710006&gclid=CKid18nl8cgCFRSNGwodNnAAzg

Or -bit over my intended budget (wife's intended budget) the Handy pro 7 ton

Handy Pro 7 Ton Electric Log Splitter

The hydraulics question is seeing as both these use the same power motor -3KW in this case, is it a straight choice of lower splitting pressure but higher stroke speed versus higher splitting pressure but lower stroke speed? Or is there something else involved?

P.S. This is just for my personal use maybe 4 tons a year or so

Thanks

Have either a two speed facility . I find that really usefull. It certainly speeds things up especially when you don't need full power or travelling up to the log.

Look at the machine weights, that will give you an idea of the strength of the build.

Spring return is good. Returns while you reach for the next log. Return stop to reduce stroke when not needed

Edited by cornish wood burner

Regarding the pressure it depends what you are splitting. Most of my wood has knots in so I find I often need 8 tonne. 300mm ash normally just needs 4 tonne. Sounds like you have decided vertical, I think both have advantages. I have a horizontal splitter, down side is a 2 ft ring is heavy to lift on, up side is you are loading, turning and taking off without bending. Still picking up from the ground unless its from the trailer. Not sure which is best but I am happy with mine.

The log buster 6 is the same mechanics as the horizontal machines , castings connecting everything with o rings , the pro 7 has separate components connected by hoses. I used to have a horizontal machine and kept blowing the seals. I went for the pro 7 and its a great machine. ( but not a pro machine) don't think you can beet it for the money.

Thanks for the replies both. Just having read the Handy 7 instructions it says several times ' DO NOT USE AN EXTENSION LEAD' so do you use it within 10 metres (cord length) of a plug or have you found a way round it? I assume, both machines being 3000w, that this applies to both although haven't seen the manual for the Clarke

Well I think i'm sold on the handy 7 ton ; it doesn't matter what I'm buying , i always seem to want the one that's over the budget i've set. Think the wife will put that on my grave stone - "Set your budget then get the next model up!"

Could be worse mottos to live by I suppose.