Trading Standards

Logsnstuff

On the 3500kg vehicle and trailer fitted with tacho does it need a speed limiter

Thanks

Good question.

Not my area of knowledge.

I think it would depend on the 3500kg vehicles registered category. I would hope that it only applies to the base vehicle as some times it would be over 3500kg when it has the trailer & sometimes it would not be over as it did not.

A quick google come up with this

Speed limiters

A speed limiter must be fitted on:

vehicles with more than 8 passenger seats, eg buses, minibuses, coaches, stretch limousines

goods vehicles with a maximum laden weight of more than 3.5 tonnes

So in that case is over 3500kg inc the trailer or not?

Will it have exemptions like the Tacho & O licence does?

Again a quick gooogle says that lots of vehicles are exempt

Any petrol engine or petrol engine converted to run on LPG

Citroen Relay 2.0 litre and 2.2 litre HDi engines

Fiat Ducato with 2.0 engines (engine code RHV)

Ford Transit (all)

Iveco Cargo all, except vehicles with engine code F4AE---.

Iveco Daily all, except vehicles with engine codes F1AE---, F1CE---, 8140.43B, 8140.43N and 8140.43S with PIC code 'G.' (The PIC code is found on the ID plate on the Shut panel for the bonnet identified by the 3rd character.)

LDV (all)

Mitsubishi Canter with 'R' as the 12th VIN character

Nissan Interstar all except vehicles with engine codes ZD3-A202, G9U-A754, S9W-A702 & G9U-A724. All Primastar.

Peugeot Boxer 2.0 litre and 2.2 litre HDi engines

Renault Master all except vehicles with engine codes ZD3-A202, G9U-A754, S9W-A702 & G9U-A724. All Trafic

Vauxhall/Opel Movano with E,F,G,J,K,L,M,N,P,T or W as 7th VIN character

Vauxhall/Opel Vivaro (all)

Volkswagen (all except 2.5lt/2.8lt 109bhp/158bhp engine codes AVR & AUH respectively.)

I guess there will be other exemptions too. I cant find the legislation re if the trailer weight is counted or not.

I will look into this. I am at the inspection site in two weeks so can ask them if there is someone around.

It would def have different speed limits as its towing, just like most non car based vans have lower limits not that you would think it when you see them being driven.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for that answer it was just that when we where having the vehicle built at the coach builders the payload was only going to be 920kg so a tow bar was suggested for a trailer and they said tachometer and limiter would be mandatory for this combination on restricted O licence and seeing there are two LGV on the licence if this vehicle didn't tow a trailer it wouldn't be under the restrictions of a O licence

Which exemption is meant to apply?

The first one?

"material or equipment for the driver’s use"

If you are transporting logs, to sell to a customer, this is not for my use, me being the driver.

These logs are for the customers use.

Also, as previously stated by others, firewood is not forestry, so that exemption can not apply either.

You asked the same question and had it answered by Justme in the trailer deliveries thread two weeks ago. Firewood are goods that you own so are not hire and reward. Firewood is an integral part of a lot of forestry businesses and now to a large extent agricultural enterprises, I don't see many agricultural types worrying about tacho use when delivering by trailer around Norfolk? We have many college kids thundering round in 30 tonne tractors delivering maize for biogas who more likely to knock down the little kiddies!

, just like most non car based vans have lower limits not that you would think it when you see them being driven.

I honestly think a lot of drivers just simply don't know they're restricted to less than a normal car/car derived van. Locally it seems they're clamping down on it more though.

It does seem a bit antiquated now though, most modern 3.5T vans drive/stop as well as cars did not that many years ago.

You asked the same question and had it answered by Justme in the trailer deliveries thread two weeks ago. Firewood are goods that you own so are not hire and reward. Firewood is an integral part of a lot of forestry businesses and now to a large extent agricultural enterprises, I don't see many agricultural types worrying about tacho use when delivering by trailer around Norfolk? We have many college kids thundering round in 30 tonne tractors delivering maize for biogas who more likely to knock down the little kiddies!

Interesting, as the exemption form posted mentions nothing of this.

I dont see the part that says, goods that you own.....

It refers to goods for the drivers use, and as stated, firewood is not for the drivers use.

I also asked at which point do "goods that you own" become the customers goods?

As they could have paid for the firewood before delivery.

Also, if you charge delivery to deliver the firewood, x for the firewood, y for the delivery, couldn't this be deemed as being a courier?

Interesting, as the exemption form posted mentions nothing of this.

I dont see the part that says, goods that you own.....

It refers to goods for the drivers use, and as stated, firewood is not for the drivers use.

I also asked at which point do "goods that you own" become the customers goods?

As they could have paid for the firewood before delivery.

Also, if you charge delivery to deliver the firewood, x for the firewood, y for the delivery, couldn't this be deemed as being a courier?

That's my understanding though chances of getting pulled are low.

I can tow a tracked chipper up to 100km on a non agricultural job without the tacho and use the chipper on site but if I deliver it to a job for others to use I should have a tacho.

You can test the water if you like, the fine was only £200 when the chap delivering our chipper behind his disco got pulled.

I cannot see the difference between this and delivering firewood.

Does it not state "goods that you own, OR goods that you have used or will use in the course of your work"? It states OR not AND?

Which bit are you quoting from?

The document attached in this thread says:

"Vehicle with a maximum permissible weight not exceeding 7.5 tonnes which only carries material or equipment for the driver’s use in the course of his work within a 100km radius of the place where the vehicle is normally based, provided that the driving does not constitute the driver’s main activity."

To my mind if you are delivering logs from a non agricultural enterprise then you can't use this exemption either because delivering means driving is the main activity or that the goods are not material for use by the driver.

I suspect carrying logs is sufficiently agricultural looking not to attract attention.

but if I deliver it to a job for others to use I should have a tacho.

Nope, The chipper is still yours, part of your job is hiring it out.

You would still be "operating on your own accord".

You can deliver goods on hire.

Look at the examples. It even uses equipment hire in them.

Edited by Justme

Thanks for that answer it was just that when we where having the vehicle built at the coach builders the payload was only going to be 920kg so a tow bar was suggested for a trailer and they said tachometer and limiter would be mandatory for this combination on restricted O licence and seeing there are two LGV on the licence if this vehicle didn't tow a trailer it wouldn't be under the restrictions of a O licence

What sort of vehicle?

IE 4x4, pickup, van ect.