Long time lurker, first woodworking attempts!

Johnmac

I've got a reasonable (free) supply of Ash and Alder, plus Willow, Birch and Sycamore. Any suggestions which I should target first and why?

Well done on the plank - if you've started with a 181 then milling can only get quicker :thumbup:

Is your supply standing alive, standing dead or already felled?

If felled, I would start with the birch. It can have a nice colour and grain but will rot fast. I would then go for the sycamore and when milled, stand it upright with only the ends touching anything if you want it to dry white. If you want it pink it won't matter so much. The ash can wait a bit.

If standing live, I would choose the ones I wanted for the projects I had in mind and cut them in that order.

If standing dead, I would expect the birch and alder to be rotten but check them first as if they aren't yet they soon will be.

Alder is soft and rots quickly if damp, but keeps really well if under water. It is fairly stable for carving or turning.

I wouldn't regard willow as useless. It doesn't have much grain or colour but is a good craft wood - it used to be heavily used cleft and bent for boxes. It was also used for tool handles as an alternative to ash - it is pretty shock resistant so was used for cart floors and even brake blocks as doesn't split under load. I wouldn't mill it though unless you need some plain boards for shelving as an alternative to Wickes whitewood (spruce) - although given your first post perhaps you would prefer the latter :001_smile:

Alec

Thanks for the info.

Sorry, I should have said the trees I have access to are all alive and standing. There is some oak, chestnut and a few other species but the two most common are Alder and Ash, so for that reason I was considering experimenting with them, then maybe move onto the Oak and such like once I've got my technique perfected.

Milling the small Alder (8" to 10" in diameter) was fun and pretty easy with my 181, I just took my time. Can't wait to get stuck into something more substantial. I wish there were a few Yew or Walnut around mine because the pictures on here look stunning!

CFBC8C3E-4781-41F8-BA40-FA103EEFC697.jpg

C7FE696B-D62F-43C5-BF65-9998D5EBB876.jpg

This was tonight's project! A couple of hours yesterday and one today. My first bandsaw box. Far from perfect but my wife likes it!