Long time lurker, first woodworking attempts!

Johnmac

Evening all.

I've been visiting the forum for some time and I've been very impressed with some of the skills on display. I've always fancied having a go at woodworking, and over the last few months I've steadily been acquiring a few bits and pieces, some new some second hand and trolling YouTube and this page for ideas and advice.

Anyway, I've had a few attempts at chopping boards using pine from wickes (don't laugh!) I know it's no use for chopping boards but I wanted to practice on cheap (total cost £2!) wood before progressing. I should add I'm using them anyway and after a few weeks they are holding up!

I then bought a few hardwood off cuts from eBay and made a 'proper' board. Now I've taken the plunge and bought a small Alaskan chainsaw mill for my ms181.... Yes I did say a 181! to mill my own wood. I've another bigger saw in the pipeline, so no doubt you'll hear more from me as I progress. Look forward to some tips and hints!

Pics to follow when I figure out how to post them!

John.

929FF12F-AC5A-46BD-AA4E-A02D3C29844F.jpg

My first 'professional' attempt. Having cut my teeth on wickes pine :-0 I made this board out of strips of white ash and walnut with off cuts bought from eBay. It's approx 12" x 12" and 1" thick. I was pretty chuffed with it!

Edited by Johnmac

A8A97244-623C-46E3-B9A2-EC783C07C353.jpg

Lastly.... My first attempt with the Alaskan Mill. A length of Alder that I'd had lying outside for around three years. Tiny I know, but I only have a MS181! I think I'll make a little tea light holder from this.

I've got a much bigger saw on the way then I can start to mill some of my own planks for future projects.

I've got a reasonable (free) supply of Ash and Alder, plus Willow, Birch and Sycamore. Any suggestions which I should target first and why?