Small stump removal job

Gooseman

Can anyone tell me how much it would cost to remove a cherry tree stump?

No doubt the answer will be "it depends" so here are all the variables I can think of.

Access: Max width 620mm

Proximity: Right next to a concrete gravel board & fence with an armoured LV cable running next to it (I can probably elevate the cable though, so that shouldn't be a problem). Not much point removing the fence panel as the neighbour's conservatory is immediately behind it.

The tree was cut down over 6 months ago so the wood is decaying as expected. I've had a go with various hand tools but my wife called a halt to my amateur efforts when I put the axe through the fence panel.

The good news is that seems to be a void under the stump towards the fence so it should be possible to avoid it.

I've attached a pic in case that helps.

2015-10-23%2014.35.42.jpg

Thanks,

Paul

There are plenty of people running small grinders that will deal with that, most will give a price based on pictures try stumpbusters, they are a nationwide outfit and will have a franchise near you

They will want to know what the access is like, drag the machine up steps, carry it through the kitchen extension, that sort of thing

I'd dig round it, as far out as you can get then chop at the roots, might take an hour or two but hard work never killed no one..

Tools... a good spade an axe an a farm jack if you can get hold of one...

if someone comes, I'd pay no more than sixty quid... from my limited experience, those stump grinders charge by the inch on the circumference, get it measured before you call one..

If I was closer I'd come and dig it out for £60 one afternoon. I dug a bigger one out of the garden here with a mattock and hatchet. Leave it another 6 months and it will be rotted to ground level anyway.

You dig stumps out like that for £60 ? You must be mad, there are far easier ways to make 60 quid and as for being rotten in 6 months I have ground many 3 year old cherry stumps that is like bell metal!

You dig stumps out like that for £60 ? You must be mad, there are far easier ways to make 60 quid and as for being rotten in 6 months I have ground many 3 year old cherry stumps that is like bell metal!

Yep. Fresh teeth on a dead cherry stump for me, nasty fat shallow roots too and you can bet there'd be one under that fence if you're digging it out.