How have you older climbers changed your style in the last few years.

Mick Dempsey

Must admit I'm slowing down a bit now.. My back hurts , my knees squeak I've got arthritis in my fingers ... I've gone from three core yacht rope to multi plait using bowline and prusik to prusik loops and then these new fandangled ropes and loops just started on the hitch climber and cambium savers with pulleys and I'm jumping on the spiderjack when it comes out .. Anything to help me speed up a little and climbing easier.. Problem is the more experienced you get the more difficult the jobs you get

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

a healthy addiction to painkillers and planning on moving someplace that doesn't need a staircase.

Also smashing a job out in front of the young guns to show em how its done, bollock em for not moving fast enough and then trying not to start limping until they are looking the other way

and using SRT as much as possible.

Using srt does seem a tempting proposition , especially as some on here swear by it ... however it all depends so much on being good with a throw bag !!! So many times I have just got it stuck and had to rescue the bloody thing , after all the faffing around I could of just done the job , even though it is harder work , but it does come in to its own for access in to some trees (not all ) At the moment I have an on going project of deadwooding a lot of 70-80 foot Douglas firs , and find if I take the bag and line up one tree I can get it through an adjacent tree quite easily , but from the ground no chance !!

Dont want to derail this too much - but today i had a really congested beech tree that had been topped years ago to thin - i could barely climb up in it it was so congested - yet i still did the majority of the climb SRT - the rope wrench set up works ok as a DdRT system even with the wrench still attached although its not perfect - I climbed up using that and my strop then set in a top anchor for SRT then worked off that. Though SRT isn't for all situations and it is a lot a faffing about in the beginning - its not reliant on getting that perfect shot with a throw bag nor is it limited to big trees - I find its really good in congested trees as it doesn't matter that the rope runs over lots of branches and redirects make life easier (if you get em in the right place) - thus it saves me energy. I also have 5m side strop with a pinto which gets used as a short DdRT line a fair amount.

on a different note - had an 20 year old apprentice lad with the company who I was subbing to working with me today - had to laugh as he took 40minutes to climb and take the top off a birch tree I would have done in less than 5 minutes -and the first thing he did was cut his finger with the silky - but we all started somewhere (and the job was by the hour) :)