Horse logging

cousin jack

I was only in Redruth for a couple of days, fortunately me mother took me 'ome, although I did visit when Cornwall were playing there.

There seems to be a heck of a lot of Cornishmen on this site, I would never have thought such a small county could support so many woodsmen, arborists, and the like.

So where are you from then CTS?

im right down in penzance mate , i did manages to get away for a few years but came back for "a few months" and never left lol . but i do love it down here , myself and all of my familly are from st Michaels Mount which makes it even more special when i drive back home and get the first glimps of the island

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A man down the road from me does horse logging but he uses welsh cobbs he was trying to get a Suffolk punch but as an endangered breed they are hard to get hold of :001_smile:

Trouble is with horse logging is that its seen as a gimmick/publicity stunt by companies trying to earn "green" points. Jay did a photo shoot for EDF, spent a day with his horse logging, then when the cameras went away it was back to conventional means for speed and output. Still, it gave him more publicity, and work, which I suppose is what its all about at the end of the day.

im right down in penzance mate , i did manages to get away for a few years but came back for "a few months" and never left lol . but i do love it down here , myself and all of my familly are from st Michaels Mount which makes it even more special when i drive back home and get the first glimps of the island

I get like that when driving down the A30 and see Carn Brea, I know i'm Home. Don't take any notice of what SSS says about Camborne men, they still believe the world is square in there, and that if you sail to far out from North Cliffs you'll fall off the edge .

• 1 year later...
Simon is unique in that he will often buy the timber standing and market it himself, therefore he lives or starves by his judgement, and skill.

We purchase standing wood and do all the felling and extraction with the aid of large Clydesdale horses. Shoes with spikes on all the time due to steep terrain.

Hard work but one cannot share lunch with a machine.:lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

How much is a skidding arch for a dobbin? Is there some courses that anybody runs to get into horse logging? Or is it a matter of have some horse skills and some forestry skills and you have dobbin loggin' My girl friends pony is looking like it would love to skid some timber out of some small woods.

Hi

How much is a skidding arch for a dobbin? Is there some courses that anybody runs to get into horse logging? Or is it a matter of have some horse skills and some forestry skills and you have dobbin loggin' My girl friends pony is looking like it would love to skid some timber out of some small woods.

If you have some horse skills and forestry skills you are at an advantage, but it is wise to get some help. A horse that is broken to ride may well flip it's lid if you just whack a log on the back of it. You have to get the horse used to pulling, having chains wrapped around it, under it and over it, the potential for a disaster, to horse and human is big. As with anything, the people who are good at it, may it look easy. I have 40yrs experience with horses but I am still on crutches from breaking my leg in October due to an accident with the horse I was breaking at the time.

Doug Joiner does logging courses in Herefordshire, Working horses in forestry, agriculture, tourism and education

I am also starting to run courses here in Shropshire, they will be one on one courses so will offer a better experience I hope, feel free to get in touch.

If you were going to buy an arch, I would recommend the Ulvins arch, pricey, £2000+, but a brilliantly engineered bit of kit. Maggie Braunton in North Wales sells these 01492 580291.

You will also need some working harness, collar, traces, swingletree, anyway feel free to get in touch if you wish.

Hi

How much is a skidding arch for a dobbin? My girl friends pony is looking like it would love to skid some timber out of some small woods.

We made our own extraction sledge/arch as whilst there is a range available we found working in the UK with slippery muddy conditions the wheels often too small and chain ratches could not be replaced when worn. (Motorcycle trail wheels/tyres are ideal)

If you have an arch make sure there is a single lifting zone in the middle as well as the side ones for large lengths.

Depends how serious you are as to purchase costs and worth going to do a couple of hard days work with a commercial logger not someone who is in it for the PR side. Take some decent boots and expect to walk at a fast pace between trees.:thumbup:

If you have some horse skills and forestry skills you are at an advantage, but it is wise to get some help. A horse that is broken to ride may well flip it's lid if you just whack a log on the back of it. You have to get the horse used to pulling, having chains wrapped around it, under it and over it, the potential for a disaster, to horse and human is big. As with anything, the people who are good at it, may it look easy. I have 40yrs experience with horses but I am still on crutches from breaking my leg in October due to an accident with the horse I was breaking at the time.

Doug Joiner does logging courses in Herefordshire, Working horses in forestry, agriculture, tourism and education

I am also starting to run courses here in Shropshire, they will be one on one courses so will offer a better experience I hope, feel free to get in touch.

If you were going to buy an arch, I would recommend the Ulvins arch, pricey, £2000+, but a brilliantly engineered bit of kit. Maggie Braunton in North Wales sells these 01492 580291.

You will also need some working harness, collar, traces, swingletree, anyway feel free to get in touch if you wish.

I'd love to have a go. 1 on 1 sound fantastic too. How much would you be looking at a day?