Horse logging

cousin jack

It's a niche market, there is a chap in Scotland, Jim Johnstone, he would be a full timer if he could but FC will not give him any work with the horses, so he drives a conventional forwarder for a living. As to the benefits, horses can work where machinery struggles, damage to the floor is superficial, no compaction, less damage to residual crop, no noise/pollution, brilliant for use on regen sites, and PAWS. We can't compete with conventional equipment, and we don't want to,but we can work alongside it, as in the pictures, steep site, horses to ride and landing, then pick up by conventional forwarder. Simples.

No noise/pollution - apart from when using the forwarder! Believe me, i think its great to use horses. I had a day harrowing with a pair of Shires a few years back and they're awesome beasts (and i mean that in the correct sense of the word), but i cant see how the compaction in terms of p.s.i. can be less with a horse than a track dumper or quad:confused1:

By the by, what part of Kernow are you from? Please don't say Camborne - im a 'druth boy meself:thumbup:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No noise/pollution - apart from when using the forwarder! Believe me, i think its great to use horses. I had a day harrowing with a pair of Shires a few years back and they're awesome beasts (and i mean that in the correct sense of the word), but i cant see how the compaction in terms of p.s.i. can be less with a horse than a track dumper or quad:confused1:

By the by, what part of Kernow are you from? Please don't say Camborne - im a 'druth boy meself:thumbup:

Ok then, minimal noise/pollution, sorry Camborne it is :001_tongue: Although I was born in Redruth, but I had no choice in the matter.

, sorry Camborne it is :001_tongue: Although I was born in Redruth, but I had no choice in the matter.

All this wet weather must be suiting you then, what with yer webbed feet n' all.:001_tongue: At least you had the good sense to be born in 'druth - Tremorvah by any chance? Still makes you a squarehead though. Camborne - did'nt they used to have a competitive rugby team?:001_tt2:

All this wet weather must be suiting you then, what with yer webbed feet n' all.:001_tongue: At least you had the good sense to be born in 'druth - Tremorvah by any chance? Still makes you a squarehead though. Camborne - did'nt they used to have a competitive rugby team?:001_tt2:

Ok Chopper, let me remind you, in the good old days when the game was still amateur and they just hit one another instead of faking injuries, Camborne won the Merit table about 8yrs on the trot, the best player you lot had for years was Brian Andrews, where did he come from?

I was born in the old hospital opposite the old grammer school :thumbup:

thankfully im not from camborne but im not too far away lol , how many years were you in redruth ??

:001_tt2:

I was only in Redruth for a couple of days, fortunately me mother took me 'ome, although I did visit when Cornwall were playing there.

There seems to be a heck of a lot of Cornishmen on this site, I would never have thought such a small county could support so many woodsmen, arborists, and the like.

So where are you from then CTS?