Belt/disc sander recommendations?

dannytreacy

Axminster Tools offer a wide variety of sanders amongst other things.

This is comparable to the one on ebay: Axminster Trade Series BDS-612 Belt & Disc Sander - Belt & Disc Sanders - Sanders - Wood Working | Axminster Tools & Machinery

However if just going for a disc sander then they also offer this velcro system which makes changing discs easy: Hermes Heavy-Duty Self-Adhesive Velcro Disc - Abrasive Discs - Abrasives - Fixing, Gluing & Finishing | Axminster Tools & Machinery

Usual disclaimer applies, I have nothing to do with Axminster other than being a satisfied customer.

Yes I had thought of that, my only reason for going for the idea of a combined belt and disc sander would be for moving through the grits easily, so for example I could have a 60 grit on the disc sander and a 100 grit on the belt, if I only had a disc I would have to change the sanding disc every time I wanted to change grit and as most of them are self adhesive I imagine it would mean destroying the sanding disc each time I changed grit.

Does that make sense?

I get your logic althought holding end grain onto a belt can be hard. You don't have a lathe by any chance? If so you could make discs for that

I get your logic althought holding end grain onto a belt can be hard. You don't have a lathe by any chance? If so you could make discs for that

Hi,

No I don't unfortunately, I have been using a belt sander so far and yes I know what you mean about the piece being dragged away by the belt but a lot of the ones I have looked at have a guard rail so I could rest the piece against that.

I've been looking at 12" disc sanders and have narrowed it down a bit, does anyone have any experience or opinions on any of the following:

DISC SANDER TS 305 HOLZMANN - TG Machinery

F31-120 Fox 305mm Disc Sander @£140.99

Record Power DS300 305mm Sander / Linisher 230V | Disc Sanders | Screwfix.com

The record one looks the best out of them more robust, How come you've decided on just the disc sander . Surely both disc and belt gives you more choice.

Yes true, I read that a dedicated disc or belt sander maybe a better choice that a combination, the 12" disc sander by record seems to have really good specs, a guard, brake etc.

I just thought perhaps it's best to get a simpler machine that does a better job?

The bds 250 you showed does look nice though, now I'm confused!

Atb,

Danny.