Unhappy / Sick Yew

SkillWill

Question

I'd be grateful for any advice from people in the know. My yew tree is looking unwell and I'd be very sad if it died. All the other yews in the area are much greener and more bulked out. It did have a reasonable 'crop' of berries which I'm hoping is a sign it's not quite dead yet - but is there anything I can do to help it out?

cRUOGVkrIqTODM-daRMcJe9lqGZk_g9DatR-FTqFTb30FC1YRDqF=w511-h681-no

P6Zvvgpl4VOX42_MJAHQwL6On85z5eRk3MrkW7hTYf9peV2Qqzh3=w511-h681-no

Any advice would be appreciated.

Few more (bad) pics here:

https://goo.gl/photos/oTBRTbHbABBMX97j8

Edit: I don't mind paying for someone to come and do some pruning / fixing if that would help in any way...

Hi,

I dont claim to be an expert here,

I understand that Laurels are fairly toxic & secrete this in small quantities to prevent anything growing beneath them. If burned it produces cyanide.

Could that be affecting your Yew?

N

Thanks for taking the time to reply, I appreciate it.

The driveway was replacing an existing one so I hope that didn't do too much damage, admittedly the laurels are new.

I have since moved the bins and am going to do the mulching / cardboard advice above that is just what I needed. There is some good growth right at the bottom of the trunk so I'm hoping that is a good sign.

I'll try and post on here in the future with a positive update!

Hi,

What you suggest is good, but looking at you pictures you seem to have some very serious soil compaction, so I really would also consider some soil aeration.

Do you know what sort of soil you have? eg sandy or clay.

As I understand it, airspading is not that useful on clay, but from my own experience I have found that simply drilling 1inch diameter holes at 0.5m spacing to a depth of 0.5m seems to work wonders in compacted clay soils.

Good luck,

James