130 spec

David Humphries

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bloody hell, your landrovers must be much bigger than the ones I've had. I found that even 3 men with kit was to much for a doublecab landrover. In fact, I cant think of a worse vehicle for carrying crew - cramped, noisy, leaky and uncomfortable.

Must be an East Yorkshire thing Ed, either we have bigger landys or smaller blokes, guess we dont have many big Eds to get in our cabs:001_tt2:

Going back to Davids origional requirements, first comes staff and tools.

My double cab can seat 6 legally, although i believe its now only 5 as the lap belt has been stopped for new vehicles. I believe if you are not travelling great distances with 4 or 5 burly blokes in, as i believe David wont be, i cant see the comfort thing being a big issue.

As for tools, either 110 or 130 can be well kitted out with a variety of back boxes, roof racks, winches etc.

As for a tipper, possibly in your case leave it to a trailer, it sounds like the back is more valuable as tool carrying.

Trailer manufacturers, least depreciation Ifor, but there are many other good builders around now. Some good deals around at the moment too!

I think the rest of your list seems to be previously well covered.

The argument of for or against landys will go on forever, and i dare say they will continue to have a massive following. The land rover still seems to be the one of choice for all the utilities, getting them kitted out with all sorts and carrying crews.

A thing that probably wont concern you much David, but worth saying is, they are probably the best 4x4 for depreciation.

Going back to Davids origional requirements, first comes staff and tools.

My double cab can seat 6 legally, although i believe its now only 5 as the lap belt has been stopped for new vehicles. I believe if you are not travelling great distances with 4 or 5 burly blokes in, as i believe David wont be, i cant see the comfort thing being a big issue.

As for tools, either 110 or 130 can be well kitted out with a variety of back boxes, roof racks, winches etc.

As for a tipper, possibly in your case leave it to a trailer, it sounds like the back is more valuable as tool carrying.

Trailer manufacturers, least depreciation Ifor, but there are many other good builders around now. Some good deals around at the moment too!

I think the rest of your list seems to be previously well covered.

The argument of for or against landys will go on forever, and i dare say they will continue to have a massive following. The land rover still seems to be the one of choice for all the utilities, getting them kitted out with all sorts and carrying crews.

A thing that probably wont concern you much David, but worth saying is, they are probably the best 4x4 for depreciation.

Jod done i would have said. Good reply mate.:001_cool:

Lets see if he spends his money wisely now:sneaky2:

Or is it ours? Lol!:biggrin:

Not exactly Pete :001_smile:

The City of London provides local government services for the financial and commercial heart of Britain, the 'Square Mile'. It is committed to maintaining and enhancing the status of the business City as the world's leading international financial and business centre through the policies it pursues and the high standard of services it provides. Its responsibilities extend far beyond the City boundaries in that it also provides a host of additional facilities for the benefit of the nation. These range from open spaces such as Epping Forest and Hampstead Heath to the famous Barbican Arts Centre.

Thanks for all the replies fellas, very helpful indeed.

Seeing the purse holder on monday, so will get an idea on budgets.

Stay tuned.

Right here is my two penth for what its worth!

Don't buy a 110!! the 110DC is useless as an arb vehicle the pick up bit is too small do you really wanna be taking the 3' bar off the 66 to get it in the landy?!

get a 130 and I would then have a back built by N&J Aluminium to suit the kit your cvarrying. Chip then goes in an Ifor williams tipper. If you want a tipper on the 130 thats cool just don't expect to carry chip and tools as they normally only carry about 900 kilos.

As for winches if its going to be used for wind blown and rigging work regularly forget Electric! Take it from some one who winches day in day out PTO or Hydraulic is the only way to go, If you just want to winch go for the Superwinch H14 PTO.

Tyres wise ditch thoose mich Xcls and go for BFG Mud Terrains there road manners are very good the set I run now are on 50k and they are not looking like needing swapping in the next 40k. You could go for AT's but sods law says that one night on a call out you'll park on a verge and with weight and a trailer on you won't get off again! with Mt's you'll make a mess but you'll be back in ya pit, rather that waiting for a second vehicle to give you a tow.

LR special vehicles are the best but be warned they are very very very expensive you may be as well to speak to Bristor at Stafford they kit out our works motors we supply them with a bare vehicle and they do the rest. its cheaper and they do all the utility company Landys these days too,

Other options worth considering an Eberspacher diesel burning heater keeps the rover nice and warm and helps dry out wet people and crew. While your looking at Eberspacher then look at the handwash units too they are great for cleaning hands before breaks.

Oh one word of warning if you do look at Bristor and look at roof racks don't go for their easy load jobbies they are a pina in the back side.

Hope that helps but at the end of the day its only my oppinion and it differ from every one elses!

Mr H,

Here's an attachment that you may find usefull..... i've posted it on other L/rover threads on here also.

The doc forms part of a presentation that i put to the Fleet and Procurement depts. at fountains plc, a few years ago.

Basic principle is, take a 110" High capacity pick up and with a few modifications, convert to 150" 6 wheeler.

This'll give you a vehicle that'll still be small enough to retain accessibility, but will have the towing and carrying capacity/volume similar to that of an Iveco Cargo/Merc Mog type vehicle.

Hope it helps. :001_smile:

Arb Crew Vehicle.doc

David,

My other point about a 130, don't listen to people that say they are harder to manouvere than a 110 yes they are longer but you soon get used to it. I can put the 130 and trailer in places some people can't even park the 110! you get used to it!

Let us know how you get on!