Getting into forestry

SC49

Hi there,

I'm looking to get into the forestry industry after working in America and finishing a forestry course here in England. I have CS30,31,32,34/5 and several other tickets. Right now I live in Reading but am selling up and looking to move to Yorkshire. Is there much opportunity there or am I mad to head that way, should I move south instead? Any advice or knowledge of opportunities would be much appreciated. I don't know who reads this forum but figured it would be a place to start

Go to Scotland or Cumbria.

If you really want to do forestry over here get on a machine. Good harvester/forwarder drivers command a good price.

Lots of coppice cutting opportunities in Kent/Sussex but that's normally just winter work. Also lots of people offering it on day rate but you provide the insurance which is dodgy.

Could really do with the OP defining what he wants to do in Forestry - as its not a one size fits all job. Yes there is felling, and as some said above harvesting machinery work etc. but following his course, he could be thinking of production forestry or woodland management or conservation forestry or.... etc.

He may not even want his hands on a saw. So what is it you really want to do in your work SC49?

Oh, and yes - Scotland or Cumbria for Forestry.