Tipper conversion

Jimwilli

I have resurrected this thread as after months of searching I have finally found the impossible. The same truck with an ally tipper on. To the extent that every bracket and nut is in the exact same position on both trucks. Hallelujah

I was looking for some advice when I change the bodies next week. At the minute the nuts on both just seem to be steel. Is there any point upgrading to stainless when changing?

The main question is to do with electrics. There seems to be some good info online for re-wiring a tipper. I am however hoping to just disconnect the wires going into each side of the switch (in the cab) then pulling these back out. Obviously one goes back to the motor and pump, the other will go to the battery am i right? Would these go into a fuse anywhere?

The lights on both trucks are connected to the bodies, so it seems best to just swap these to. Is the wiring to these likely to be on a socket before it gets to the body? My backup plan here is at worst, to disconnect the wires out of the actual light unit, unscrew/bolt the light unit and I can split the wiring here.

Thanks in advance for any help, electrics not my strong point!

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The tipp (up) function is controlled by the solenoid which is the small round thing with three wires to it. Its an electrical switch that engages the high power side of the circuit

In your picture its the thing with the flat (2 core?) wire running forward to a switch, presumably somewhere in the cab.

The down function is by means of another solenoid, that one is on the oily, middle bit of the pump tank unit. Its the small round bit that's on the side of the unit. Its facing the prop shaft

One wire to the

So if I disconnect the body from the chassis my plan is to leave all these wires intact and just disconnect at the switch in the cab. Pull this wire back out through the hole of the cab. There wouldn't be any wire connected to the chassis? I've read that the earth made by being bolted to the chassis?

On the other side of the switch (going to the battery) will this wire run via the fuse board?

So if I disconnect the body from the chassis my plan is to leave all these wires intact and just disconnect at the switch in the cab. Pull this wire back out through the hole of the cab. There wouldn't be any wire connected to the chassis? I've read that the earth made by being bolted to the chassis?

On the other side of the switch (going to the battery) will this wire run via the fuse board?

Sounds OK.

Where are you based

Leicester.

I've pulled up a few diagrams online. They seem to show that there will be 2 wires to the battery. One from the switch and one from the tipping pump separately. I'll have to get underneath and try and see whats going to tomorrow. Would the fuse be in the normal fuse location, near the battery or on the side of the pump do you think?

Thanks. I'll have a look tomorrow and see if I can get my head around it. Hopefully the fuse and fuse socket will just come off with the existing wire rather than into the trucks main fuse board.

So you think the rear lights wire will have some kind of socket arrangement? The front indicators are on a socket because I had to change one a few months ago.