Tipper conversion

Jimwilli

Right got the hiab booked for tomorrow. Just noticed one of the fuel lines wraps around the tipper frame. Am I right in thinking I can disconnect this at the fuel tank, unwrap from frame, re connect to fuel tank then i'll have to bleed system?

Am I wise trying to clamp diesel line above where I disconnect or will vacuum stop diesel emptying from fuel line?

Thanks again...

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes will definitely put fuse in! Are you saying fuse on the wire to switch as per treequip or fuse on wire coming from battery? A lot of manufacturers seem to include a mega fuse on this section.

Any advice re the above? One of the trucks has had the original filter (with priming pump) bypassed and an inline filter put in. Bleeding that my be way beyond my limited mechanical skill!

Right got the bodies swapped today. All went pretty well really. I had to get 1 fuel line off the tank on both vehicles. I think it was the return line. Anyway I plugged it up with my finger and quickly threaded it where it needed to go and all seems well...Think I got away with that one.

I've got the donor pick up all finished now with the flatbed, mudguards and swapping the number plate.

Tipper body is in position on my truck. Got to bolt down and wire up tomorrow. Will put a fuse between solenoid and switch as has been suggested.

I'll add some pics when it's done. Wont be much to you boys liking as it's only 2.6t GVW! (no good for wood chip!) Still with the alloy body I reckon i'll still weigh around 1.6t on the bridge empty so "legal" payload is okay for me.

Thanks for all the help you lot.

IMG_2586.jpg

Chassis looks bad here but it's just mucky. Rub that off and the paints like the day it rolled off the line.

Well all went well. Old body wired up with a 7.5 amp fuse about 2" off the solenoid. Splash proof but let's hope it's not wet when it blows. Drilled the isolator thru the footwell as before. On about the second tip the body stopped halfway and motor started clicking. Good belt with a spanner and all is well. Must have been sticking. Has been ok since. Thanks for all the help. Here's to weighing in low on the bridge!

image.jpg

image.jpg

• 2 years later...

Reviving this thread for a bit of mechanical advice.

Had truck off the road for a couple of years. Put back on and have noticed that when tipping, or occasionally when pulling up at lights start too get a squeal from the engine bay. Guessing this is a belt and guessing its connected to the alternator if it squeals when tipping and it draws current/load/leccy?! Do you think the belt could have deteriorated over time unused or so you think the pulley needs tightening? Is there any way to prove what the issue is and any recommended fixes?

Reviving this thread for a bit of mechanical advice.
Had truck off the road for a couple of years. Put back on and have noticed that when tipping, or occasionally when pulling up at lights start too get a squeal from the engine bay. Guessing this is a belt and guessing its connected to the alternator if it squeals when tipping and it draws current/load/leccy?! Do you think the belt could have deteriorated over time unused or so you think the pulley needs tightening? Is there any way to prove what the issue is and any recommended fixes?

Is it only happening at tick over? This being from start up or from stopping after a journey? Have you heard it whilst you have been tipping? Can you create a better picture for us on the scenarios. If it squeals on tick over then to prove your thoughts on it being the alternator belt, just give it a spray with some rubber care or silicone spray. If the noise stops then your belt is where to start. What vehicle is it?