Tipper conversion

Jimwilli

I used to fit those smiths industries pump packs to tail lifts. From memory there will be a large battery positive from the battery or starter motor. There should be an inline fuse from the solinoid on the pump to the isolator in the cab. I would imagine the up and down buttons will be fed from this before going back to power pack.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice one. So is the pump where the power pack is or is that near the battery. I will follow the wire tomorrow but just trying to get it in my head. battery/startermotor - Fuse - isolator - up down button - pump

There is an odd looking button opposite the cigarette lighter which is not on my non-tipper version. Could this be the isolator?

Nice one. So is the pump where the power pack is or is that near the battery. I will follow the wire tomorrow but just trying to get it in my head. battery/startermotor - Fuse - isolator - up down button - pump

There is an odd looking button opposite the cigarette lighter which is not on my non-tipper version. Could this be the isolator?

Its a self contained pump tank and motor unit

The pump is part of the power pack, in your picture the blue painted bit is the hydraulic tank, the oily part is the valve assembly and the rusty bit is the motor

Okay i've been and had a good root around this morning and seem to have got my head around it. Bear with me i'll post all the photos (sorry there's a lot!). Also one thing I couldn't trace was a fuse! So is it the case there may not be a fuse for this unit? What happens when you try to tip too much?!

So this is the battery. 3 Wires connecting to the positive. It seems to be the end one which goes to the tipper unit

IMG_2564.jpg

free photo upload

This is halfway between the above wire from the battery, to the power pack. Its the isolator and comes thru the cab in the foot well. Just a switch arrangement.

IMG_2572.jpg

host image online

IMG_2573.jpg

free adult image hosting

This is where this wire feeds into the power pack. So couldn't find any fuse along this whole length.

IMG_2570.jpg

image upload no size limit

This is the wire coming out of the power pack heading to the switch in the cab.

IMG_2569.jpg

image free hosting

This is the switch with the plat off the front.

IMG_2567.jpg

screen shot windows

So basically I now have my head around the wiring. Just hoping someone says "yes there isn't usually a fuse for them" - and i'll be happy. Otherwise got to go rolling around in the wet again. By the way there is another wire running alongside the wire to the switch. just ignore this though it goes to the beacon and doesn't join into the tipper wiring at any point.

Thanks for your help again

OK

The thick red cable is power to the P/T unit

The three core R Y Bl is

Red is power to the switches (fit an inline fuse to this there it comes off the solenoid)

Green is power through the switch to solenoid to send the tipper down

Black is power through the switch to solenoid to send the tipper up

Ok so don't put fuse between battery and power pack

If I'm putting the fuse on the red cable between switch and solenoid could I do it inside the cab where it's not exposed to the elements.

What amp do you recommend?

I also forgot to check if the rear lights were on a socket. Will have to suss that one out

You could put a fuse in the main feed but such fuses are expensive and seldom used on such heavy gauge cable.

You want the fuse to protect the smaller wiring so the nearer it is to the supply the better, the supply is currently (no pun intended) taken from the terminal on the pump tank unit. You could take a feed from an auxiliary fuse in the vehicles fuse box, the advantage of this is that you wont have to lie under the truck to swap a fuse if it pops on a rainy night in January.

The switch circuit is fairly low amperage so unless anyone else knows better I would start with 7.5 amp

When you fit the wiring make sure its all tidy and protected from edges and the like

Thanks good tip with regards to making sure it's accessible when the bed isn't lifted. Ie when the fuse has popped.

I did come across what looked suitable for an inline on the main feed. Was 200amps and inc holder and fuse was about £20. Apparently commonly used on tail lifts.

So with the fuse protecting the smaller wiring will it also protect to power pack if it on this side of the unit?

Also if I used the aux fuse would this not be a similar distance (if not further) than putting inline fuse beside the switch in the cab?

Cheers