Had a play with it this afternoon cutting some logs. First impressions are good. Seems powerful for its size, its a really dinky wee thing. Went through a 10" sycamore log without too much bother. Nice looking bar on it. Look forward to testing it in the tree tomorrow. Will keep you posted on how it goes.

Nice one, sounds good! It's amazing that it lighter than a 150, but a couple if cc more!

Got to be the way to go!

The MS150T is the saw it is because of the chain in my opinion. I've had a good play with the Stihl 1/4" pitch picco chain and it is pretty revolutionary in how it cuts.

Super fast, very clean and very economical on the power of the saw.

It's not often there is much in a chain - more in how it is sharpened but this chain is a bit of a ground breaker. I've been using it on a few different smaller saws (mainly an MS192) and the cut speed is amazing. Faster and cleaner than a standard 1/4" chain.

Also on an Echo 280WES with one of the R7 nose bars. As far as cutting performance it really is outstanding.

As far as economy not so much - pretty expensive, not going to get many sharpens on it, can write it off instantly if you hit a foreign body hard enough...

Really to compete with the Stihl MS150T this new Echo saw needs to be running this 1/4" picco chain or equivalent IMO. And no this is not a plug for a Sugihara bar which can do this - as there isn't one! At least not at the moment anyway - as it is very tricky to replicate the nose sprocket to carry this particular chain...

But Stihl only make for Stihl so the only way is to modify a Stihl bar to go on a different saw.

I mentioned this point earlier in the thread but the consensus seemed to be people didn't mind.

So does this new echo come with the same type chain as the 360tes?

It seems pointless engineering what looks on paper to be a really great saw. Lighter and stronger than it's competitor, only to lumber it with a heavy standard chain!

For me it's a deal breaker if I have to modify a stihl bar and chain for a 150.

I mentioned this point earlier in the thread but the consensus seemed to be people didn't mind.

It seems pointless engineering what looks on paper to be a really great saw. Lighter and stronger than it's competitor, only to lumber it with a heavy standard chain!

Yes I know - but I think it is because you need to use that new 1/4" picco chain to realise just how much it benefits small saws - it is pretty revolutionary! There is nothing else like it!

As you say - IMO as well it is a deal breaker - this saw will just not compete with the MS150 without that chain really. It will be good, better in some ways - but will not be in the same league until it can run that chain. Simple as that (just my opinion please bear in mind!)

I'm going to do some vids on the new Stihl 1/4" picco chain as it really is a groundbreaker in terms of cutting equipment.

I'll also have a look at modding Stihl bars ready for other saws - although not sure what the legal aspects of that may be ie. fine for customers to do it - fine for me to do and then sell to customers? Not so sure :001_huh:

No it isn't the 360tes is 3/8 .50 and this new one is 1/4 .50

The 150 is 1/4 .43 I believe so has a narrower kerf than the new echo but again, there's nothing to stop you nodding a 150 bar to fit

What's that compared to the 150 chain?

MS150 is 1/4" pitch but 0.043" (1.1mm) gauge.