Rotten trunk advice appreciated

Catweazle

I have a medium hornbeam that has rotted down the middle, it's a very lopsided tree and it's overhanging a (private) path so I think it needs to come down. Do you agree ?

What do the people whose path it is want?.That is what I would need to know,lol.

I took out a veteran hornbeam pollard yesterday. At 10feet the tree was sound as a pound, at the fell height (4feet) it as dodgy as heck. The remaining stump just crumbled to little bits when the digger tugged on it, the tree was over a driveway, little kids cycling up and down all summer holidays. I showed t he client what had actualy held the tree up, and he was horrified. Will be re-planting with nice specimen fastigiate hornbeam later on.

I cut the old hornbeam down today. The rot was down to below ground level, and the whole middle of the trunk is spalted, but that wasn't the problem, it had been rotting for years. The sign that things were moving in a bad way was the sharp fresh wood splinters pushing out from the side of the trunk at right angles to the lean, although the centre was rotten 2/3 of the outside was sound, just not enough of it left to support the tree. The trunk was rapidly splitting in half.

I paced it out on the ground at 60ft, most of the branches were on one side and it landed on them, they shattered. I was pleased that it landed exactly where I wanted it to and didn't damage any other trees, I was a bit worried that it might land on the branches and roll, but they snapped off like matchsticks.

I cut off the roots on one side first to leave a flat vertical surface, then cut out the notch from there. In truth my saw was a bit too small at 18" and I had to do a bit from both sides, it came out well though. The tree started to creak alarmingly after the notch and it didn't take much more cutting before she went over.

Very different from my usual coppiced chestnut, hopefully I'll never have to cut down a tree of that size again.

As suggested in this thread, I'm going to plant three or four replacements around the stump and choose the best two to leave in a few years.

Thanks All.