How much to fit a flu liner

Will Heal

Incorrect, there are loads of 6" flue Defra approved Stoves, here is just one. Firefox 8.1 Cleanburn Multi-Fuel / Wood Burning Stove - DEFRA Approved - All Stoves - Stoves Are Us

Where do you get your info?

Hardin backer board IS suitable as a closure board, I never said it was suitable as a register plate so I'm missing the point of your post completely?

my info came from the guy teaching the hetas coarse 4 1/2 years ago

when fitting a stove you should use steelto close off the chimney (register plate) as if anything drops down the chimney it would break the hardi backer board and the use of a 5 inch liner is only permitted if using a defra stove with a 5 inch outlet if the stove has a 6 inch outlet defra or not it can only be used with a 6 inch flue

you cannot go from 6 inch out of the stove down to 5 inch liner

Im also a qualified HETAS installer and have never had any problems with stoves i have fitted when i have my yearly inspection

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my info came from the guy teaching the hetas coarse 4 1/2 years ago

when fitting a stove you should use steelto close off the chimney (register plate) as if anything drops down the chimney it would break the hardi backer board and the use of a 5 inch liner is only permitted if using a defra stove with a 5 inch outlet if the stove has a 6 inch outlet defra or not it can only be used with a 6 inch flue

you cannot go from 6 inch out of the stove down to 5 inch liner

Im also a qualified HETAS installer and have never had any problems with stoves i have fitted when i have my yearly inspection

Do you normally use vermiculite on an internal chimney? Apart from the insulation advantages presumably it will keep the liner steady when its swept.

Do you normally use vermiculite on an internal chimney? Apart from the insulation advantages presumably it will keep the liner steady when its swept.

if it is a large enough chimney then yes when putting a liner down an existing clay lined chimney its near on impossible as the liner fills most of it

you dont have to insulate but it can make the liner work better

if you dont use vermiculite but use a pot hanging cowl they have a small air gap allowing an un insulated lined chimney the vent

if it is a large enough chimney then yes when putting a liner down an existing clay lined chimney its near on impossible as the liner fills most of it

if you dont use vermiculite but use a pot hanging cowl they have a small air gap allowing an un insulated lined chimney the vent

Thanks Steve

Im definitely an insulation fan but I have two to do, one rectangular and one round. It sounds like the second might be fun.

I think it will always make the flue and the whole solid fuel experience work better!

Having a hot flue gives instant draw if air vents are opened. It reduces/ stops tar/soot build up and the associated risk of chimney fires. It reduces the frequency of sweeping as theres no crap build up. In 12 years of heating a good sized house exclusively on wood, we've swept the flue twice and got less than a builders bucket of ash out in total.

It may not be mandatory to insulate the flue but you'd be mad not to!