How much to fit a flu liner

Will Heal

Yes 904, 904 twinwall is what you need for multifuels, 316 is just for gas. You need to install the liner and have a CO monitor now, it's part J of the building regulations and yes you do need a certificate and a plate to show the flue has been installed correctly,

HETAS registered installers can self certify this or you pay building control to pass it. HETAS installers cannot certify work done by others.

Also make sure a 6" (150mm) as even with a nominal 9" flue it can be a problem getting round corners. It's only the smallest burners (<5kW I think) that can use 125mm flexi pipe.

Also it's directional so make sure it's the right way up and only feed it down from above.

Alcydion will be along to quote the regs.

you can only use 5 inch flue if it is a defra approved stove

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

316 twin wall flue is perfectly fine and now comes with a lifetime guarantee from some places. The difference is quality of stainless steel, nothing else. My father had a 316 in for 18 years before it rotted through. He has an 18kw back boiler stove burning smokeless coal aswell as wood and any general rubbish he has. All his wood is self sourced generally unseasoned and usually conifer or some old bits of fencing, skirting etc. He doesn't have any other form of heating in the house so it's on 24hrs a day in the winter.

A register plate is for open chimneys in order to create a seal so the chimney has sufficient draw.

A closure board on a flued chimney will stop the heat going up and the crap coming down. Hardiebacker board is perfectly suitable from B&Q or Tilesrus for this purpose and is a concrete based waterproof board that is quite easy to cut.

All of these questions are answered in the Stove Fitters Manual online.

My building regs sign off cost nothing as he was already in inspecting for an extension.

hardie backer board is not suitable,register plate should be minimum 1.6mm thick galvanised steel

also when fitting the angle iron use the plugless concrete fixings (thunderbolts or similar )as the heat from the liner could melt a plastic plug

you can only use 5 inch flue if it is a defra approved stove

Incorrect, there are loads of 6" flue Defra approved Stoves, here is just one. Firefox 8.1 Cleanburn Multi-Fuel / Wood Burning Stove - DEFRA Approved - All Stoves - Stoves Are Us

Where do you get your info?

hardie backer board is not suitable,register plate should be minimum 1.6mm thick galvanised steel

also when fitting the angle iron use the plugless concrete fixings (thunderbolts or similar )as the heat from the liner could melt a plastic plug

Hardin backer board IS suitable as a closure board, I never said it was suitable as a register plate so I'm missing the point of your post completely?

Incorrect, there are loads of 6" flue Defra approved Stoves, here is just one. Firefox 8.1 Cleanburn Multi-Fuel / Wood Burning Stove - DEFRA Approved - All Stoves - Stoves Are Us

I think he meant you can only go down to 5" if its Defra approved . I have a 6" liner for my Burley which is approved .

I think he meant you can only go down to 5" if its Defra approved . I have a 6" liner for my Burley which is approved .

I've just checked part J and in fact it a wood burning stove which is exempted from the clean air act (AKA DEFRA approved I assume) can be up to 20kW and have a 125mm flue if that is what the manufacturer says. As I posted previously this is a change since I was working with biomass brought about largely by the need to allow foreign pellet boilers.

As far as I understand if you have a boiler stove or are in the habit of slumbering your wood burner it is far better to use 904. It is more corrosion resistant than 316 so will have a much longer life especially under unfavourable conditions. When you consider the difference in cost between 316 and 904 as a percentage of the total then the longer life easily covers the difference.

It took a bit of finding but here is a couple of shots, taken some 8 years ago, of a single skin 316 SS flue which had been allowed to cool the combustion gases below their dew point. the acidic conditions had created an oxygen free environment that had allowed the chromium oxide (a thin layer which protects the iron content from rusting in normal use) to be stripped and the tube then perforated. I suspect there was something other than clean wood being burnt because the stain underneath looks like iron chloride.

Had the flue been insulated this would not have occurred as the inside would have remained dry.

316perf1.jpeg.d8a8521da30f87919ebf1a1c6a32aa3c.jpeg

316perf2.jpg.ce7af9ad4ce4a39662a7277493d40acc.jpg

I just read through this thread, I cant believe all the rules and regs over something that was not ever even considered necessary a few years ago. I have a log burner in the single story section of the building and all I did with that is stand a lump of HD steel pipe on top of it and go straight through the roof. Its still as good as the day I installed it fifteen + years ago. A friend of mine has one on a register plate and no liner ,that also has been in for yonks with no issues .

Bob

I get it from the manufacturer!

Firefox 5.1 Multifuel / Woodburning Stove - Stoves Are Us

Above is a non Defra approved stove with a 5" flue.

So whichever way he meant it, he was incorrect.

I get it from the manufacturer!

Firefox 5.1 Multifuel / Woodburning Stove - Stoves Are Us

Above is a non Defra approved stove with a 5" flue.

So whichever way he meant it, he was incorrect.

I think it's misleading as even though it says 5" flue that's only the opening on the stove. I believe it would still need to have a 6" flue fitted if it's not DEFRA approved