Micro arb truck

hamdogg

I was thinking of getting one of these a while ago. I know the come with a range of attachments, including a logging arch. I already have a logrite arch, what kind of size log do we think it could shift?

I bought the arch for a job moving some chestnut I bought "in situ" but it didn't work as the ground was so wet it sunk 6" in to the mud and I couldn't pull it. I ended up laboriously hand winching each piece to my mill and then carried 50 sleepers out of the wood on my shoulder.

Would the arb truck of been any use in this situation or is it time I got some proper machinery?!

image.jpg.f289285d683b0f7f11b8efd18859511f.jpg

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was thinking of getting one of these a while ago. I know the come with a range of attachments, including a logging arch. I already have a logrite arch, what kind of size log do we think it could shift?

I bought the arch for a job moving some chestnut I bought "in situ" but it didn't work as the ground was so wet it sunk 6" in to the mud and I couldn't pull it. I ended up laboriously hand winching each piece to my mill and then carried 50 sleepers out of the wood on my shoulder.

Would the arb truck of been any use in this situation or is it time I got some proper machinery?!

This is a video of the log arch from the website [ame]

[/ame]

And this is a link to the video page on the website MICRO ARB TRUC| Image Gallery

I don't have one but they do look handy if you have the right work for it.

I've got one though I don't use it commercially. It is pretty good though I think it's a bit dear for what it is. I've got the arb-trough bed as well as the skip with greedy boards. The skip is what I use most, even for poles, because the wheelbase is so short you can't stack the arb-trough with long poles without unbalancing the truck, even with the weight kit on. That said, I'm using it in 10 acres of woodland on the side of a hill and I've tipped it over a couple of times. It has 4 wheel drive but it's not independent so if a wheel looses traction it goes nowhere. This means over rough ground it's bloody hard work as you've got to lift and push to maintain motion. Still far easier and quicker than doing it by hand. If I remember correctly the log arch or trailer is attached to the front and the truck operated in reverse. I guess if it's large pieces of tree you're shifting this would be OK but reverse is very low geared and it would be slow going over long distances. Mine has the wide wheel kit on and it's definitely needed for where I'm using it, adding a lot of necessary sideways stability but also giving me good traction across very muddy ground though it's understandably a bit like a ratorvator then.

The lads from a local tree firm said that they could do with one after witnessing me moving the bigger wood from a thinning/lifting job they were doing for me. On flat and stable ground it's pretty swift and far less effort.

I've got a muck truck max, you pay a fair bit more to get the "arb truck" which is the same sort of thing but with 4 bolsters

It's a handy bit of kit, as with anything it has it's limitations

Would it work buying a standard muck truck and then buying the arb attachments separate from the arb truck dealer? Or would they not fit etc?

Would it work buying a standard muck truck and then buying the arb attachments separate from the arb truck dealer? Or would they not fit etc?

Yes should do (if they'll sell it to you), not sure how the "weight kit" is attached on, might need holes drilling. You could also make attachments of your own, I made a wee towbar to bolt on the skip.

You do sometimes see used muck trucks on ebay etc, apart from the initial depreciation on a brand new machine, they seem to hold their value quite well