Stihl HLA 85.. The future IS electric

Hodge

Sounds a bit on the pricey side when you could get a km94 engine and hedgecutting attachment for around £500 including the vat. I think the price will have to drop a bit before I'd consider switching

It is what it is. I have one of those and the vibration gets my hands and also no fuel to buy for it so that's a bonus.

Fantastic kit , I run the Top handle saw, hedge trimmer and telescopic hedge trimmer now and my poor shoulders/elbows have benefitted from using these.

Only issue is you must spray the cutter bar after each use with a PTFE or oil has I found they can cabbage a lot of battery power if left over night

To dry out with hedge residue.

Hodge ....if you have not already take the bottom cover off and take a look at the gearbox.....its not sealed so watch out with damp or wet conifers, clean out with airline and I use White Marin grease ,no problems yet after one season .

Ste

Thanks for the tips.:)

• 3 years later...

We've had a set of these for a couple of years. Particularly impressed with battery life (using AP300 batt) and will run all day on privett and conifer hedges. They've been great for the less heavy duty work but not up to the rigours of what the petrol cutters can handle. Sadly though yesterday i encountered my first problem whilst cutting a lelandii hedge. Hit a thicker stem (thumb sized) and the cutters just stopped but the motor didn't. I.e. the motor came loose in the housing. Took it apart and there was no obvious break in the housing nor was it clear how the motor housing was actually supposed to be held in place other than a plastic toothed washer! I spun the motor back to it's original position put the housing back on but sadly it just happens again now whenever i hit anything a bit meaty.

We did think when we first bought them that the motor housing did look a bit flimsy. Stihl might need to go back to the drawing board on how the motor is held in place on this one. Will keep you posted on any fixes  

Ive got these.

They are on the whole the best hedge cutter ive every used.

But not perfect in all ways.

Ive got 3 batteries and a quick charger and can keep 2 battery hedge trimmers going all day with 2 cutters.

Not having to pull start the engine sounds so simple a thing but not having to do it is bliss.

The reach is awesome, especially when up a ladder.

As said i dont use mine for thicker stuff, it will go through inch plus but i dont see the point.

The down side is the housing that holds the motor in place can break, not worked out a fix yet. I am on my 3rd one in 3 years ( first 2 lasted about 2 or so yrs before getting problems) and thats working every day ( not always treated right either if im not keeping an eye on the boys).

I find the short one loud enough that i wear ear protection but the 85 is so quite i can chat or play music.

Batteries are still going strong which is good.

Also have the saw, polesaw ( again awesome kit) and a lawn mower so it makes it versatile.

Electric isnt the way to go for the bigger machines or for rough grunt work but its coming on fast and i cant wait for it tbh.