What to with this Oak?

WHaines

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1444124090.599434.jpg.89cced3197a25d1dfff0202b0ab08e49.jpg

We had 3 or 4 big oaks that came down in the spring that we have only just got round to dealing with, one tree is now in 10/12ft lengths and the other three are still whole. I'm reluctant to process them up for firewood just seems like a waste.

We wondered if they were any good for milling but no one here on the farm has any clue about that, so just looking for some advice.

What's the criteria for oak that can be milled, as I have no idea?!

(Sorry if this is in the wrong category but I thought it applied to both firewood/milling)

Thanks

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have a bunch of big oaks that went down too.

Part of me wants to mill them into big sections for a rustic building.... but they do look amazing just lying down in the woods untouched, and give some great habitat.

Some of our oaks have fallen over in the past (many years ago) and re grown a main stem from branches. They are also amazing.

If I mill them they won't have the opportunity to grow again.

Decisions, decisions!

cheers, steve

The sapwood has fairly well gone on those - not a bad thing (probably a good thing) but suggests they were standing dead for a while?

The ends shown in the photo look a good size and suitable for milling. The question is what would you do with it if you milled it? If you have a use for milled timber then it is well worth doing - makes good long-lasting gateposts if nothing else but you may have other uses for it. If so, it will save you a lot to get this milled rather than buy in timber. It will be longer lasting than treated softwood so if you have a think back about what timber you have bought over the past few years and get it milled in those sections, then stick it in an open fronted barn with stickers to dry it will be ready when you want it.

If you have no foreseeable use for it and no immediate outlet to sell it to you will end up putting money into it and then make yourself a headache to recover it. If you have a use for firewood then under these circumstances this is a better use for it.

If you don't want it, someone may pop up on this thread and offer to buy the butts from you - if you can do a good deal (e.g. you have no shortage of firewood from smaller stuff) then this would work out for everyone.

If you get people suggesting you should mill it but they don't want to buy it then this won't help you.

As for milling routes - the three options are get in a bandmill - a particularly good idea if you can get all the lengths back to hard standing and lift them with a teleporter. It is likely to be a day or two, depending on the size. Alternatively if you have some time and want to do it yourself you could buy an Alaskan, particularly if you want larger sections and have a suitable powerhead already. This is more wasteful and slower but doesn't need any full size trees moved. With a suitable set-up you can also use it to make full length beams which would cost a lot to buy. The job will pay for the kit and some if you have a use for the timber. Third option is to get someone in with an Alaskan. This will work best if you don't feel confident about what you are doing but want to then consider carrying on with your own kit. One of the Alaskan options is the best bet if you want longer lengths than a mobile bandsaw can handle, the main trunks are too wide to go through the throat of a bandsaw mill or you can't move the full length sections back.

There are several people on here who have portable mills of either type - if you put up a location you should get some feedback on who is nearby.

Alec

Edited by agg221

Thanks for the comprehensive answers, very useful!

Standing dead for about a year, we have acute Oak dieback according to the ecologist who happened to notice as she was up checking stuff.

I went for a good look round today and found 8 dead standing oaks that have all died since I last had a good look last autumn, so unfortunately there will be a lot more oak to come out.

I'm just outside Stratford Upon Avon,

I have use for it as firewood but I haven't got much use for it milled really.

It will be a lot of work to cut up as its way to big to put through the processor so would be open to selling it as I don't have a lot of time to spend of my firewood side as it is.

No idea how to value Oak like this?

Thanks

Will.

Edited by WHaines

12 decent sized butts is beginning to look like there may be a load.

Worth having a measure up (diameter and length) and getting a few photos up. This should enable an opinion on value. Also worth commenting on whether you could get them roadside for pick-up.

Alec

12 decent sized butts is beginning to look like there may be a load.

Worth having a measure up (diameter and length) and getting a few photos up. This should enable an opinion on value. Also worth commenting on whether you could get them roadside for pick-up.

Alec

Thanks Alec,

I will get some photos + measurements when I go up the wood next.

I am assuming the longer lengths are better?

Depending what size lengths they were in they could be road side as long as they can be lifted onto an trailer with a telehandler or two.

Will.