Winch for Timberwolf Tracked Chipper.

leafcut

davies implements in Carmarthen were installing a winch on a 230 vtr when I was there last - a new install but looked neat with the winch tray being an option fit at the dealer on the machine from the factory.

believe they were using a 'goodwinch'.

davies implements in Carmarthen were installing a winch on a 230 vtr when I was there last - a new install but looked neat with the winch tray being an option fit at the dealer on the machine from the factory.

believe they were using a 'goodwinch'.

That was on mine, it's a warrior 8000 winch. Definitely worth doing.

Further to my last, apparently the hydraulics on the Timberwolf 150 wont be sufficient for winch use and electric would be the way to go. Also I have been informed that the winch location would be better fitted at the operators end ie near to the rubber buffer below the controls, this appears valid as imagine trying to winch the chipper uphill-the cable would interfere with the infeed etc.

Further to my last, apparently the hydraulics on the Timberwolf 150 wont be sufficient for winch use and electric would be the way to go. Also I have been informed that the winch location would be better fitted at the operators end ie near to the rubber buffer below the controls, this appears valid as imagine trying to winch the chipper uphill-the cable would interfere with the infeed etc.

I cant see that being right, if there is enough hydraulic flow/pressure for two tracking motors there must be enough for a hydraulic winch. You just need to sort out a diverter , electric is ok but you would need to up the size and capacity of the battery. If its occasional use electric is simple and a quick cheap installation, if you intend to spend a lot of time winching things go hydraulic. Just my worthless humble opinion.

Bob

I cant see that being right, if there is enough hydraulic flow/pressure for two tracking motors there must be enough for a hydraulic winch. You just need to sort out a diverter , electric is ok but you would need to up the size and capacity of the battery. If its occasional use electric is simple and a quick cheap installation, if you intend to spend a lot of time winching things go hydraulic. Just my worthless humble opinion.

Bob

Appreciated Bob, it will only be for occasional use, ie getting the chipper out of the sh*t, and pulling over the odd tree and piles of brush, so I think lecky will be the way to go. Any reccomendations re winches to fit a Timberwolf 150 tracked chipper, allowing for the 1 ton weight of the chipper itself..I was thinking around the 4 ton pulling capacity !

We've got a winchmax 13000lb electric winch on a big GM tracked chipper (it replaced a warn 9000 that wore out) and it is very very good. It'll drag the chipper (approx 2 tonnes) without the engine running and the tracks locked up no problem. Cheap as chips and well made, I can't recommend them highly enough. As already stated, if you are doing a lot of heavy pulling go for a hydraulic, or you will soon find the weakest point in your electrical system (usually battery, then cables and connectors).