Copper beech fungus

Sickcopperbeech

Question

Hello

I'm hoping somebody might be able to help me

We bought a house at the start of the year and it has a huge copper beech at the front

Before we purchased the house, we were told one had to be removed from the back and a neighbour also had one removed due to disease

We are waiting for planning permission so not currently living in the house

We went to see the house today and notices there are three seperate breakouts of fungus at the base of the tree

Can anyone identify the fungus? And is it terminal for the tree? The tree has a TPO. Do we have to go through planning to have it removed?

We are on an estate and a couple have fallen down....I'm worried with winter approaching

Many thanks :)

Ps I've attached a picture, you can just seen another of the breakouts to the left hand side

image.jpg.f013963bd150b5b06f8c487b71e8e7c9.jpg

• Answers 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

Good Morning

thank you again for your help

The tree is directly on the roadside, in this picture, it's the furthest away of the two copper beeches you can see

The tree is huge, circa 3 times the height of our house and the houses round it

The whole area is defined by the copper beeches. We couldn't see the fungus on the two neighbouring trees (another neighbour has one, it's out of shot)

Is there anything we can suggest to our neighbours to prevent further infestation?

2 have been taken down in the last year and 2 fell down (on houses) some years back

The root stump of the removed copper beech in our back garden is covered with fungus, we thought it was because it was dead....it now seems from this forum that it's what killed it? Should we have that ground down? Will that help by removing spores (or disperse them?!)

In terms of felling it, is it too big to have a team climb it? Does it need a crane?!? :confused1:

Thank you

image.jpg.a9dea02fbaca06b98d73e96944c6e5ab.jpg

Third option is a SIA. I assisted on one with Paul Muir of Treework Environmental Practice last year and almost certainly would have condemned the tree prior to the test.

Statics Integrated Assessment (SIA) otherwise know as a static load test or pulling test, is likely to be the most effective way of determining the current stability of the tree.

Would it be possible to post of photograph of the whole tree? It would be really useful to see what the crown looks like as it may indicate what the vitality/health of the tree is like.

If the vitality is poor, it is probably not worth spending the money on further investigation. However, if the tree demonstrates normal vitality it might be worth considering.

Statics Integrated Assessment (SIA) otherwise know as a static load test or pulling test, is likely to be the most effective way of determining the current stability of the tree.

Would it be possible to post of photograph of the whole tree? It would be really useful to see what the crown looks like as it may indicate what the vitality/health of the tree is like.

If the vitality is poor, it is probably not worth spending the money on further investigation. However, if the tree demonstrates normal vitality it might be worth considering.

Thought you might be putting in an appearance Paul. I think it's going to be some time yet, unfortunately, until SIA becomes as commonplace as the Picus or Resistograph in the UK.

Hi :)

Sal, I don't think your question was to me, I don't understand it!

In terms of the crown, it's quite sparse compared to the ones around it. We thought that it was because it has split quite near the bottom into two major trunks

I'll try and get over to the house to take a picture....I don't have any that take in the whole tree!!

Thank you again:thumbup:

Good Morning

thank you again for your help

The tree is directly on the roadside, in this picture, it's the furthest away of the two copper beeches you can see

The tree is huge, circa 3 times the height of our house and the houses round it

The whole area is defined by the copper beeches. We couldn't see the fungus on the two neighbouring trees (another neighbour has one, it's out of shot)

Is there anything we can suggest to our neighbours to prevent further infestation?

2 have been taken down in the last year and 2 fell down (on houses) some years back

The root stump of the removed copper beech in our back garden is covered with fungus, we thought it was because it was dead....it now seems from this forum that it's what killed it? Should we have that ground down? Will that help by removing spores (or disperse them?!)

In terms of felling it, is it too big to have a team climb it? Does it need a crane?!? :confused1:

Thank you

It is possible the disease has spread from the roots of infected trees to the roots of healthy trees by root grafting. Bear in mind the root spread trees

is over twice the distance of the canopy spread (distance of branches from the trunk)

I would have old stumps with the infection ground out with a stump grinding machine.

Beech and Oak trees (especially) in the area should be kept as healthy as possible as this is the best defence against the spreading of the disease. This can be achieved with mulching and aeration/mychorrizal injection under the canopy of the trees.

In terms of the crown, it's quite sparse compared to the ones around it. We thought that it was because it has split quite near the bottom into two major trunks

If the crown is quite sparse, this would indicate reduced vitality. Trees with reduced vitality are less able to compartmentalise decay/dysfunction and offer less resistance to pathogens. I think it is important that you have the tree assessed by a suitably qualified, experience and insured arboriculturist (tree consultant). However, going on the information that you have given us, it sounds like the tree should probably be removed.

I recall David saying that giant polypore can act as a saprophyte and decay 'shed' roots, and not attack the living roots - yet still, given the dead and living roots are intertwined, the fruiting body gives the appearance that it's parasitic when in fact it's not.

Chris (Kveldssanger) makes a really interesting point, and it's why beech with Meripilus should not automatically be condemned.

Beech and Oak trees (especially) in the area should be kept as healthy as possible as this is the best defence against the spreading of the disease. This can be achieved with mulching and aeration/mychorrizal injection under the canopy of the trees.

Really great advice 👍 although it would very much depend on the current condition of the root zones. Mulching is a good idea (unless on waterlogged soils). Aeration or decompaction may only be necessary if there is already significant soil compaction. Mulching on its own may well act as a natural inoculum of mychorizzal fungi.

Thought you might be putting in an appearance Paul. I think it's going to be some time yet, unfortunately, until SIA becomes as commonplace as the Picus or Resistograph in the UK.

Haha, I just help myself! 😀 I agree Gary. I doubt SIA will ever become as common place as sonic tomography etc simply because the cost is always going to be prohibitive.

It will always be the best way to assess tree stability though! 😀

If the crown is quite sparse, this would indicate reduced vitality. Trees with reduced vitality are less able to compartmentalise decay/dysfunction and offer less resistance to pathogens. I think it is important that you have the tree assessed by a suitably qualified, experience and insured arboriculturist (tree consultant). However, going on the information that you have given us, it sounds like the tree should probably be removed.

Chris (Kveldssanger) makes a really interesting point, and it's why beech with Meripilus should not automatically be condemned.

Mulching on its own may well act as a natural inoculum of mychorizzal fungi.

yes and relieve soil compaction - I should of added -The tree owners need to get advise of a consultant who can visit the site/s and assess them in detail