You need a license to use mewps on highways

Steve Bullman

This may not be news to some of you, but it was to me. Today we were reducing an Oak tree, I was in the tree doing one side and someone else was doing the other side from a mewp which was parked on the roadside. This was a typical town side road, not very busy, and the whole area was coned and signed as it should be.

About 2pm a guy wearing an orange high vis turned up on site from the highways department and informed us that you need to apply for a license to use a mewp on the highways, comes under the same regulation as scaffolding etc. He let us carry on working regardless but informed us how to go about getting the license for future works. It doesn't cost anything and takes just 2 days to come through, the link below is for suffolk highways but I assume this is a nationwide rule.

Apply for a crane licence | Suffolk County Council

Just a heads up!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This may not be news to some of you, but it was to me. Today we were reducing an Oak tree, I was in the tree doing one side and someone else was doing the other side from a mewp which was parked on the roadside. This was a typical town side road, not very busy, and the whole area was coned and signed as it should be.

About 2pm a guy wearing an orange high vis turned up on site from the highways department and informed us that you need to apply for a license to use a mewp on the highways, comes under the same regulation as scaffolding etc. He let us carry on working regardless but informed us how to go about getting the license for future works. It doesn't cost anything and takes just 2 days to come through, the link below is for suffolk highways but I assume this is a nationwide rule.

Apply for a crane licence | Suffolk County Council

Just a heads up!

Free is just too good to be true

Each application must be submitted with a cheque for £100 (VAT exempt) made payable to Suffolk County Council. Following payment the licence will be valid for 8 weeks.

We get a Road Occupation Permit if we're working on the highway, with or without a MEWP. Cost's vary depending how long you're working on the road and which local authority you're dealing with. A permit for up to 3 days is about £80 from Stirling Council, a bit more for up to 7 days and then I think it's up to a month's occupation for a bit more again. Can't remember what it costs from other LA's.

You're supposed to keep the paperwork on site so the Police or some other Highways official want's to inspect it.

I think the idea is that it allows LA's to plan and approve works so that there aren't too many roadworks in one place, so that the emergency services can be informed of the works, school bus routes notified, etc, etc.... I could be wrong though, it might just be another money making scam for the council. :lol: