Stoves feedback

I've just had a charnwood 12b fitted, along with the dunsley neutraliser system, it's all linked into the antique oil system that came with the house. It has cut the oil use by 75% (could be more but I'm not getting up an hour earlier to stoke the fire in the am!), for a system running 10 radiators and loads of hot water for a family of 5 in a badly insulated, stone built old farm house.

It did cost about £3500 for all the pipework, pumps, neutraliser etc fitted and going. But with the price of oil only going one way and with no end of firewood it'll soon pay for itself. We do now have one constantly hot room and keep the doors open to make the most of the heat. Next is more efficient radiators with thermo valves, this should help cut down the amount of wood that is being used.

http://www.stovesonline.co.uk/

These guys are worth a look, they have a load of info on back boiler stoves and systems.

Anyone want a oil burning rayburn?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I live in a climate a tad more harsh than you folks,it gets rather cold.That said I have a glass front Lopi stove that will heat the entire 1800 square foot house .It will consume from November to first of April about 4 to 5 cords of hardwood.

The easest way to push heat around in a house is simpley use some small portable fans.Easy and cheap.

I don't know what the exchange rate is but it saves me about $1000 to $1200 per year.

• 3 weeks later...

Steve,if you look back through the thread you will see i have large out door boiler,i was going to buy a farm 2000,but came a cross my ruffel and it was cheap saw bought it.

I burn wood straight from jobs,just tip of by the boiler and throw it on.

I have a rayburn 355m (surprised you dont like it fifer) mine's great I have it linked via a dunsley neutraliser to an aarow stratford tf50 and an lpg boiler, by adjusting the stat on the lpg boiler it only cuts in if the woodburners die down. We installed this 18 months ago and are still on the same tank of gas. massive savings.

One thing to note, Rayburn are clearly very honest when calculating btu output whereas aarow are a bit optimistic, the rayburn can easily run all 9 rads on its own but the aarow cannot(they're supposed to have similar outputs). I would still recomend the Aarow for its looks and ease of use but go for a rayburn if you can.

ps fifer if you want any tips on the rayburn