In Poland with the new sawmill...

Big J

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shame Trakmet don't make a diesel/ or petrol powerhead.

I tried looking up a reasonably priced 3 phase generator to suit the TTP-600 but they all seem very big and expensive.

cheers, steve

Yep, would love a diesel /petrol powered model, makes more sense but more costly to run.

To be honest I need a generator to run some bigger equipment and a 40 - 60 kw generator can be had for under 2 grand second hand.... Still a lot of money but the only option.

Still you can't get a sawmill better for the money it seems, even with the cost of a generator bundled on.

I bought a barely use (63hrs) ex-standby generator for mine. 50KVA (which is only just large enough - on colder mornings, the first time I fire up the main motor is stalls the generator), silent running with a Perkins engine. Early 1990s, but as I said, barely used. Cost £4500 plus VAT.

Also used almost no fuel - gets through 200 litres of diesel for about 125-150 tonnes of timber. That's £70 or a 50 pence a tonne/2 pence per cubic foot. Compared to the Logmaster (which as 15 litres of petrol for an average day, where I'd cut about 200 hoppus/7.5t - that's a cost of £2.10 a tonne) it's saving me about £2000 a year in fuel (as well as the repeated trips to the petrol station).

The blade sharpening equipment has saved me a fortune too. Sharpener and setter cost £1750 together. Have done perhaps 120 odd sharpens, which at £12 a go (which is what I used to pay) means the machines are already almost paid for. Also getting much better results sharpening my own blades as well as having had no band breakages (some blades have been sharpened more than 15 times).

I'd certainly recommend a trip up to Biskupiec to see the Trak Met factory. Anna is lovely and looks after you well. The area is very pretty (a lake district of sorts) and everything is incredibly cheap. Just give me a bell if you want any further information.