In Poland with the new sawmill...

Big J

i have just been turning a 3'+ beech i had some 6" from 3 years ago and in a couple of bits the are 100+ years in just 6". even on the bits close to the middle it was 60-70 rings per 6" cylinder.

wish i'd counted the age of that one hence my request to find the age of this one. my guess is 300+.

let me know what you find out.

• 3 months later...

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So Big J.....any updates and feedback on the mill? Interested to hear your thoughts after a few months with it..

I'm just planning a trip up to Trek Met HQ to order a mill. Looking at the TTP 600 premium plus.

Not sure it is worth chucking an extra 1500 euros at it to go to the TTP 800 and only gain 10mm band width and 3 kw in power.

I only really resaw reclaimed Oak, Elm and Chestnut.... Nothing over 400mm width so figured the 600 with a 50mm band would do the job well enough?

So Big J.....any updates and feedback on the mill? Interested to hear your thoughts after a few months with it..

I'm just planning a trip up to Trek Met HQ to order a mill. Looking at the TTP 600 premium plus.

Not sure it is worth chucking an extra 1500 euros at it to go to the TTP 800 and only gain 10mm band width and 3 kw in power.

I only really resaw reclaimed Oak, Elm and Chestnut.... Nothing over 400mm width so figured the 600 with a 50mm band would do the job well enough?

Very good overall. Heavily built, works well and is fast. It's saved me a fortune in petrol costs over my previous mill, as well as sharpening. The blades supplied could be better, and whilst the cut performance isn't 100% they last forever (some are on over 15 sharpens and sets) and cost buttons (£18 and that's for a longer blade for the wide throat). The wide throat hugely speeds up large log breakdown - did two large sycamore logs at 45mm in an hour today. About 80 odd hoppus foot.

Weaker points, if I were to nit pick are:

* Block guides - would prefer deflected rollers. They need adjusting every couple of weeks for alignment and wear.

* Hydraulics are very fast but could be a touch stronger for the largest logs. Once you get over 2.5 tonnes with an awkward shape, you start to have to think about the whole operation.

* Head movements could be a bit quicker (up/down and forward back) - I'd be inclined to specify a 50% increase in speed next time.

That's pretty much it. Fundamentally, it's a big, solid mill with quite a lot of toys. The board drag back is great, the twin chain turners are very handy and the 30kw motor powers through anything. It's about 50% quicker per cubic metre than a Woodmizer, costs a lot less and can cut a board that is 18 inches wider. No brainer really.

I would strongly recommend the 800 over the 600 as it's more heavily built, has larger band wheels and a few other extras. Worth the money.

Cheers for that J, just what I wanted to hear.

There isn't much else that I have seen that comes even close to the specs for the money. I just wanted a bit of reassurance that there wasn't a reason it was so much cheaper.

As I said not too fussed about the hydraulics. For now we only handle reclaimed timbers that are fairly small in comparison to logs so the extra 6000 euros on Hydraulics could be better spent on other toys.

I do think that I may go for the 800, just the standard model for now.... makes sense while I am spunking cash, may as well go all in.

Does the 800 have the board drag back as standard or is it an extra?

Thanks again for the advice mate, much appreciated.

So how much is one of these 800's, purchased in the Uk?

You can pm me if its a rude question.:biggrin:

I've got the price list on my e mail if you would like it.

No VAT if you are VAT registered which is a bonus and makes a huge difference. The joys of the EU (for all you EU haters :) )

Cheers for that J, just what I wanted to hear.

There isn't much else that I have seen that comes even close to the specs for the money. I just wanted a bit of reassurance that there wasn't a reason it was so much cheaper.

As I said not too fussed about the hydraulics. For now we only handle reclaimed timbers that are fairly small in comparison to logs so the extra 6000 euros on Hydraulics could be better spent on other toys.

I do think that I may go for the 800, just the standard model for now.... makes sense while I am spunking cash, may as well go all in.

Does the 800 have the board drag back as standard or is it an extra?

Thanks again for the advice mate, much appreciated.

I actually cannot remember if board drag back is standard. I think it is, and if it's not, it's not expensive. Fantastically useful. I also have twin powered rollers, which are great for moving cants up and down the mill and powering off the final beam/board.

The hydraulics are worth every penny. Even if you think you won't use them, I guarantee that you will. Also worth fitting an uprated motor for your reclaimed timber, which will be hard and dry. I'm on 30kw and there are still times it is slowed by hard/dry timber.

Pratting around this morning clearing sycamore/elm before new loads come in this morning we did about 4.5 cubic metres cut to 45mm in 3 hrs.

Aye, that would be good ta; ill pm you.

Email sent mate :)

Thanks again J, great info.

I can't really afford the Hydraulics as I will need to factor in a generator to power it as my supply is on 17kw here. I would also like a dedicated forklift for the mill and all its operations.

In my mind the beams and slabs we remill are so small that the handling is all done by hand and is mainly loading and unloading the bed. I can't justify the hydraulics for the little use they will get. Maybe hydraulic clamps might be a good idea.

I think I will run TCT bands as well. That should put less strain on the motor and give better tracking and cut finish.

Lots to think about.....

I would also like a Slidetec circular mill to run along side. We supply both circular and bandsaw cut boards so need both really. Our old Robinson rip saw does the job but lots of handling.

Cheers again for the advice mate :)