Building a log splitter

Nick Connell

Hi guys,

Iam just building a log splitter for my Boxer. I am looking at using a kit from flowfit. I am splitting arb waste and trying to weigh up a 22ton ram with a 15 second cycle or a 16 ton ram with 11 second cycle. Any advice gratefully received!

Thanks,

Nick

Its all about flow and pressure

Find out what flow and pressure you have available and work out what can be done with it. Don't forget to factor in duty cycles

That's the info you need, Flowfit (others are available) will be able to speck the rest based on your requirements of power or cycle time

thats max flow and pressure which equates to 17 ish hp i would go for the smaller 16ton cylinder as its all about speed that what makes you money if the stuff is really that badly knotted i would be tempted to toss it to the side and half it with a saw but even so 16 ton is a good output we do everything with a 10 ton ram and haven't really had to throw much stuff to the side

I deal with a lot of arb waste using a thor 13ton 2speed ram, thus most of time I am only using 6.5ton pressure which is more then adequate for the majority of stuff. A lot of it comes down to the blade design, the single thor blade is more knife like then wedge, thus compensating loads through shear force rather then splitting force.

I would go for speed. I've made a 16 ton with a cycle time of 5,5 seconds (14"/36cm stroke) and love the speed. It splits almost everything with a small but 12"/30cm tall wedge, I did have some oak and hornbeam/ironwood that was really hard to split though.

With 3000 psi and 42 lpm, you're aiming for +-50cm stroke? Depending on the wood, the extra tonnage may be useful.

Edited by Typhke