CLA Game Fair

Robbo90

The CLA lost a shed load on Belvoir when that was cancelled a couple of years ago, and I think that, like many shows and sales events are in jeopardy as they are so expensive to exhibit at. So they get in a spiral of exhibitors not attending because buyers not buying, therefore attendance goes down while costs still rise. A trade show with no trade is a meeting in a field.

The CLA are quoting on their website that there will be no more CLA game fairs as they are no longer able to make a profit from them. Alcester which is/was next years event will not be happening.

Game fairs stopped being game fairs years ago... Use to cost between £8 to £10 to get in...lots of gun dogs.shooting,fishing and all thing to do with the country side with the odd cloths stall were you had to save for a year to buy your Barbour jacket and wearit for what it was made for.

Now you go to these shows and it's like walking down town to go shopping...just shops and to commercial and people who if they get a splash of water on there Barbour think that they are country folk.stopd going now just to exspenive and sad to see how it's changed so much.:confused1:

I went to the Midlands game fair at Weston park last week and thats still heavily into hunting, shooting and a little fishing. It was half price of the CLA at Harewood House to get in and no where near as many market stalls trying to sell posh rubbish. At Weston there was even a stall selling 4x4's, at the CLA they were trying to sell Lambo's I did comment to one of the posers trying to sell the lambo's that they would struggle to get any pigs in the back of them...... It didn't go down to well.

There was nothing at Weston that promoted working in the countryside like you see at the CLA events. the closest thing you saw to any sort machinery was one stall selling axes, and I do like to have a look around some real kit occaisonally. I could never afford any of it but it's nice to think about what I need when I win big on the lottery

As regards the CLA, about four years ago it was local to us at Ragley Hall, and we were asked to use our Geomatics kit to measure the casting competitions on the lake. We jumped at the chance, a few complimentary tickets were thrown in, we spent 2 days (4 of us) setting up and testing, tweked some software, and then had an enjoyable weekend doing the measuring. The competitors, most of whom are sponsored and travel the world, were very appreciative of the improvement over 3 men and a dog in a boat guessing their casts.

The next year we were asked to do it again. We quoted them roughly what they charge for a hot dog van for the weekend and they never even came back to us....