My video thred by grey git.

Gray git

Interesting, sorry to hear of a death but not being morbid but would be interesting to know more details.

How come in large tree felling including fc sites I believe it's exeptable if not encouraged to have a wedge man present to assist in the felling of the trees?

Would also like to see a winch that can carry 60m of cable to keep it out the danger zone which for most of this site would have ment placing it off site.

One thing that makes our working a bit safer and far more efficient is being in open Mike contact so can talk through as working so everyone can be aware of what is going on.

Sent from my D5803 using Arbtalk mobile app

Acciden happened near Selkirk. I think the man hung up a tree then tried to dislodge it by felling another tree on to it guy got crushed and died of internal injuries .derails in Selkirk paper really sad loss a day thoughts with family

• Sad 1

Acciden happened near Selkirk. I think the man hung up a tree then tried to dislodge it by felling another tree on to it guy got crushed and died of internal injuries .derails in Selkirk paper really sad loss a day thoughts with family

Its very sad, 58 years old from memory. Chances are ,like a lot more of us he has probably done certain things thousands of times within his career, sadly it only takes one time to inflict terrible injuries or bring life to an end.

There are certain things I struggle to get my head round,..not being able to have a second man wedging being one of them, but I have to say I do agree with the two tree length, so I guess you cant have the best of both worlds.

In a perfect world things go right, but it only takes a gust of wind at the right time to spin a tree off a stump.

I am old school, and spent a lot of my career falling in jeans , no helmet etc.but in the last few years my thinking has started to change, I have worked with people that are now dead from accidents in the forest.

There has been a lot of opposition to FISA, and I do not agree with everything they stand for , but if some of it saves just one life then its justified.The objections to FISA have mostly been based around their money making policies around refreshers and FMOC.Very few would object to their safety policies and safe working guidelines,..a lot of them are trying to prevent further accidents occurring based on those that have already happened, that's got to be a good thing.

• Like 1

Agreed 👍

Sent from my D5803 using Arbtalk mobile app

The point of my first comment about the video was that it would appear that you have guys certainly within two tree lengths and at times within one tree length whilst felling is taking place,..its not accepted practice and would be impossible to wriggle out of if something did go wrong.Who knows who watches these vids? I could be on FISA steering panel for all anyone knows.

It is without question a red card situation with FC, and should a case end up in court God forbid would take some defending.