What to do if an employer won't pay?

dru

Learn from it and move on.Unfortunatly there are some unscrupulous people out there who will take you for a ride.

Just my opinion

I wouldn't recommend that, word will soon get around you are an easy touch and then all the unscrupulous buggers will be wanting to employ you.

I would start by a visit to his house, most people pay face to face.

That said it would be good to know the reason why he doesn't want to pay you.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CCJ is only one step, frequently a nearly bust person wont pay even then. Given fair time after the CCJ you can apply for an enforcement order, that is usually bailiffs going round and seizing stuff but they cannot seize the equipment used for his work.

Another possible way forward if you know who owes him money is to serve the third party (his cutsomer) with a Garnishee order. This forces the customer to pay monies owed to the guy you have a CCJ on into the court instead of paying your debtor.

My daughter has a CCJ against a former tenant who was also convicted of stealing money from her. He has no assets so no point in sending bailiffs in, he has paid around £30 in four years. So a CCJ is not the end of the matter, merely another step in a chain.

A

Thanks for all the various bits of advice. Sorry I haven't given more juicy details, but I know the guy in question uses this forum, and I don't want to muddy the waters too much while I'm trying to resolve the situation.

Cheers!

I know you said you are from Scotland but were you working for a company from the North East of England by any chance?

Might be a bit late to be considering 'muddying the waters'.

What you consider spurious may be not be viewed the same way by the debtor. I'd try to talk to him before looking at a legal route, with which they're no short term guarantees anyway.

If he is unreasonable, there may not be any other option though. Good luck.

Thanks for all the various bits of advice. Sorry I haven't given more juicy details, but I know the guy in question uses this forum, and I don't want to muddy the waters too much while I'm trying to resolve the situation.

Cheers!

Interesting strategy. Get various opinions from fellow members and possible encourage the person who owes you £££ for wages to pay up.

I hope you get your pay.

easy-lift guy

I know nothing regarding background of this situation. However, Dru did some commercial forestry work for me earlier in year and his timekeeping, attitude and work rate can't be faulted, I've no hesitation recommending him to other contractors.

As for non payment, I'd have no qualms whatsoever about visiting yard in the morning when he's organising squads for work and not leaving till paid. Alternatively visit his house in evening and again don't leave till paid.

Good luck

Cheers!

Being a member of this forum is no excuse for non payment. I have only had one member on here so far who decided that payment of other members was not in his cheque book. Unfortunately I have very little respect for such members although I will always try and work out options prior to court action. In the end I used Thomas Higgins for the pre trial recovery action and the High Court Bailiffs for the judgement enforcement.